No reply to letter involving NASA's mission 'to understand and protect our home planet'

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2006
      In a January 31, 2006 letter which I sent to the DOC Office of
      Inspector General I wrote:

      ... "I learned recently that the mission statement for NASA
      includes 'to understand and protect our home planet'. In knowing
      that, I believe that my concerns about hydrologic climate change in
      the Upper Midwest and about global warming, which were identified in
      OSC File No. DI-00-2100, need to be discussed with scientists in NASA
      in order to gain a full understanding of the state of the science in
      Dec 2000, Jan 2001; and currently. For that reason, I request that the
      matters described at the beginning of this letter be pursued
      further."

      The matters described, at the beginning of the January 31, 2006
      letter, which I requested "be pursued further" were in a January 16,
      2001 letter from an attorney with the Office of Special Counsel (OSC),
      to me, where it stated: "Specifically, you allege that NWS is not
      handling the issue of global warming in a way that best serves the
      interest of the public". ... "Should you wish to pursue this matter
      further, you may contact the Department of Commerce, Office of
      Inspector General." �

      For the record, I did not receive a reply from the DOC IG regarding
      the matters described in my January 31, 2006 letter (copy below).

      ---
      Copy of January 31, 2006 letter to DOC OIG:

      Department of Commerce, Office of Inspector General
      14 th and Constitution Avenue, N.W.
      Washington, D.C. 482-5197

      January 31, 2006

      Subject: Re: OSC File No. DI-00-2100

      I received a letter (same subject) dated January 16, 2001 from the
      U.S. Office of Special Counsel (OSC), Washington, D. C. In the
      letter, OSC Attorney Tracy L. Biggs stated:

      ... "You alleged a substantial and specific danger to public health
      and safety and gross mismanagement by officials at the Department of
      Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA),
      National Weather Service (NWS), North Central River Forecast Center
      (NCRFC), Chanhassen, Minnesota".

      ... "Specifically, you allege that NWS is not handling the issue of
      global warming in a way that best serves the interest of the public".
      "The study of global warming is an important scientific area that
      has generated conflicting opinions and research. Based on the
      information provided, NOAA is well aware of this issue and supports
      research into global warming as well as other areas of climate
      research. �

      � "Therefore, we can take no further action regarding your
      allegations."

      "Should you wish to pursue this matter further, you may contact the
      Department of Commerce, Office of Inspector General." �

      I learned recently that the mission statement for NASA includes "to
      understand and protect our home planet". In knowing that, I believe
      that my concerns about hydrologic climate change in the Upper
      Midwest and about global warming, which were identified in OSC File
      No. DI-00-2100, need to be discussed with scientists in NASA in
      order to gain a full understanding of the state of the science in
      Dec 2000, Jan 2001; and currently.

      For that reason, I request that the matters described at the
      beginning of this letter be pursued further.

      Sincerely,

      Patrick J. Neuman ...
      ---