The Weather Channel Blog 2006: 4th Warnest Spring in US

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2006
      The Weather Channel Blog
      June 19, 2006
      2006: 4TH WARMEST SPRING IN US

      Dr. Heidi Cullen, Climate Expert

      Well, the results are in and the continental US experienced its 4th
      warmest spring (March-May period) and 5th warmest May since records
      started back in 1895. Four states - Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas and
      Texas - broke their record for warmest spring. Overall, this warm
      pattern just continues what we've been seeing over the past year in
      the continental US.

      Since the start of last summer (June 2005), there have been 6 months
      which were much warmer than average, including two months - January
      and April 2006 - that were the warmest on record. This anomalous
      warmth covered big sections of the country and statewide records were
      established in Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New
      Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Vermont and Wisconsin.

      If, in addition to taking bets on the hurricane season, Vegas starts
      taking bets on summer heat - I'd put my chips on red - as in warm...

      Posted at 5:47 pm ET Post Your Comment

      Comments

      I retired from the the National Weather Service this year after
      serving the Upper Midwest in river forecasting and snowmelt flood
      outlooks for 29 years. Recently I've spent time using Excel to plot
      temperatures at climate stations in the Upper Midwest. Two stations
      with excellent records include Jamestown, ND and Park Rapids, MN. Mean
      temperature plots for January through May show that 2006 was the
      fourth warmest of record (1893-2006) for the five month period at both
      Jamestown and Park Rapids. Also shown, more importantly, is that five
      of the five warmest January to May periods since 1893 occurred in the
      last 26 years (since 1981).

      Plots are at:
      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/patneuman2000/my_photos
      Posted by Pat Neuman | June 20, 2006

      http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/8_9739.html?
      from=blog_comment_mainindex&ref=/blog/weather/#comment