Disease-carrying insects move north

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2006
      Fw: [CCG]
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ClimateConcern/
      ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
      Disease-carrying insects move north

      BOSTON, May 4 (UPI) -- As the Earth warms, insects that carry disease
      are spreading into new areas, bringing the West Nile virus to Canada
      and malaria to high valleys.

      Dr. Paul Epstein, who teaches at Harvard Medical School and once
      worked in Africa, said the shift is coming faster than physicians
      anticipated.

      "Things we projected to occur in 2080 are happening in 2006," he told
      The Washington Post. "What we didn't get is how fast and how big it
      is, and the degree to which the biological systems would respond. Our
      mistake was in underestimation."

      The World Health Organization says at least 30 diseases are either
      new or making comebacks because of climate change, a shift in the
      pattern of infectious disease unlike anything seen since the
      Industrial Revolution.
      Epstein and his colleagues, in a report late last year, said cold
      areas are more sensitive to climate change than warm ones and insects
      are very sensitive to higher temperatures.

      Copyright 2006 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.