Fwd: Siting of new bird in our area

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Something worth noting.

      --- In ClimateConcern@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <Greenleaf3@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      We live near Chicago and Lake Michigan. My husband and I recently
      noticed an ominous sign of climate change in our area. Twice now
      this month (April), we've spotted black vultures wheeling overhead,
      searching for prey. In IL, turkey vultures are the mainstay. Black
      vultures are from the South--w-a-a-y-y south in the southeastern U.S.
      and down through Central and South America. To our knowledge, black
      vultures have never before resided in this area (they used to only
      come up north as far as Indiana). They also displace turkey
      vultures, as black vultures are very territorial. I liken this siting
      to being in a nice restaurant, and you're enjoying your meal, and
      then you spot a cockroach. You just know that more are hidden away.
      What more lies in store for us if we do not stop climate chaos?

      I must admit, I've been a bit shaken today at this siting, hoping
      against hope that maybe things were better than I feared. But now I
      konw that things are worse than I feared.

      Thanks for letting me express these concerns.

      Anne

      --- End forwarded message ---