Devils Lake outlet can't pump, so permit change may be requested

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      Posted on Sun, Apr. 30, 2006
      Devils Lake outlet can't pump, so permit change may be requested
      DALE WETZEL
      Associated Press

      Excerpts:

      BISMARCK, N.D. - North Dakota's Water Commission might ask to pump more sulfate into the Sheyenne River to make it easier to operate the Devils Lake water outlet, the commission's chief engineer says.

      Any request would require a public hearing, which would stir anew a debate about the wisdom of diverting Devils Lake water into a tributary of the Red River. The $28 million outlet has drawn protests from officials in Canada and Minnesota, who believe the saline water will cause pollution downstream.

      "Little by little, the whole river will get to be unusable," said Milt Sauer, of Valley City, the chairman of People to Save the Sheyenne, a group that has opposed the outlet. "This thing is breaking every law that man ever made, and it's just ignored ... We've got a mess on our hands, and it's not going to be good."

      Devils Lake has more than tripled in size since the early 1990s, and the National Weather Service predicts it is almost certain to reach 1,449.35 feet above sea level this year. That would be the highest measured level since North Dakota became a state.

      The outlet is part of an effort to reverse the lake's rise, or to slow its rate of expansion. Its critics say the outlet will divert saline water downstream, and cannot move enough water to accomplish its purpose.

      "If there was any reason to be doing this, I'd be the first one to support the outlet. But I look at this in all honesty, it's a travesty. It just is," Sauer said. "It's causing a lot of trouble, and it isn't going to do one thing towards helping Devils Lake."

      http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/14467863.htm