UN Decries Biodiversity Decline Climate Change

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2006
      UN Decries Biodiversity Decline Climate Change

      Klaus Toepfer, outgoing chief of the UN Environmental Programme.
      Photo courtesy of AFP.
      by Staff Writers
      Nairobi (AFP) Mar 31, 2006
      The outgoing chief of the UN Environmental Programme (UNEP) on
      Thursday decried a steady decline in global biodiversity and
      lamented that the problem of climate change had yet to be taken
      seriously.
      Klaus Toepfer, who will step down as director of the Nairobi-based
      UNEP in June, said that despite some improvements in the awareness
      of worrying trends, there was still not enough being done to avert
      potential catastrophe.

      "Right now, we have still a quite a clear downward trend with regard
      to environmental stability," he told reporters at a farewell news
      conference in the Kenyan capital.

      "We have an increase of CO2 emissions and we have not at all
      stabilised these emissions and we know that climate change is going
      on," he said.

      "Its not a prognosis for the future, it is now, and yet this is of
      little concern," Toepfer said. "People are not concerned enough. Its
      really a huge problem."

      He did not mention any specific offenders but his comments appeared
      to refer to positions taken by such leading world polluting
      countries as the United States, India and China that have refused to
      sign on to international pacts limiting emmissions of carbon dioxide
      which are believed responsible for global warming.

      Toepfer said the decline in biodiversity, partly due to climate
      change, was hurting not only humans and their environment but also
      efforts to reduce poverty in line with the UN-backed Millenium
      Development Goals.

      "This is not only a problem with regards to the stability or with
      respect to the diversity of human beings and nature," he said.

      "Its a disaster for the economic targets because to decrease
      biodiversity means to decrease the knowledge library of nature for
      solving problems.

      "We have such a lot of systems integrated in nature to solve
      problems, which we didnt discover until now and yet we are losing
      those solution possibilities and stability," he said.

      Toepfer will hand over the UNEP reins to his successor Achim Steiner
      in June after eight years in office.

      Source: Agence France-Presse
      Related Links
      UN Environmental Programme