Climate change a major security problem, says U.K. defense chief

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      http://www.grist.org/?source=daily

      Global Warring
      Climate change a major security problem, says U.K. defense chief

      U.K. Defense Secretary John Reid has echoed a growing number of
      analysts by stressing that global warming is not just a weather
      problem, or a health problem, or a problem for biodiversity. It's a
      global security problem. In a Monday speech, Reid called on the
      nation's military to prepare now for strife brought on by
      desertification, water shortages, melting ice fields, and increased
      population. "The blunt truth is that the lack of water and
      agricultural land is a significant contributory factor to the tragic
      conflict we see unfolding in Darfur," said Reid. "We should see this
      as a warning sign." Reid's cheery comments came on the eve of a
      summit at which Prime Minister Tony Blair will discuss Great
      Britain's response to global warming. They also coincided with a
      leak of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's next big
      report, which indicates that the planet could heat up far more than
      previously predicted.

      straight to the source: The Independent, Ben Russell and Nigel
      Morris, 28 Feb 2006

      straight to the source: United Press International, Hannah K.
      Strange, 28 Feb 2006

      straight to the source: The Guardian, David Adam, 28 Feb 2006