Fw: WILDALERT: Arctic Refuge Drilling *Again* in President's Budget. Calls Needed.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2006
      * WILDALERT -- Tuesday, February 7, 2006
      * Brought to you by The Wilderness Society

      TELL CONGRESS: NO TO THE PRESIDENT'S ARCTIC REFUGE DRILLING
      PLAN. YES TO REAL ENERGY SOLUTIONS.

      President Bush admitted to the nation a week ago that we must do
      something about our addiction to oil. But just one week later,
      it appears that he's had a relapse.

      Yesterday, President Bush submitted his federal budget request
      to Congress, which yet again includes revenues from drilling in
      the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge -- even though that dead-end
      proposal was decisively rejected last year.

      Last year, unprecedented efforts by you and millions of
      concerned Americans stopped President Bush and other politicians
      from sneaking their short-sighted Arctic Refuge drilling plan
      past Congress -- first through the backdoor of the federal
      budget bill and later through a trapdoor on a bill to fund our
      troops.

      Arctic Refuge drilling has no place in a smart, forward-looking
      energy policy. If the president is serious about breaking
      America's "oil addiction," then his administration should
      abandon its "drill it all" assault on our public lands.
      President Bush clearly does not get the picture: Make sure our
      leaders in Congress do.

      **Please call your Senators and Representative today, and tell
      them that it's time for Congress to stop wasting energy on
      President Bush's plan to drill the Arctic Refuge and focus on
      real energy solutions for America's future. **

      We have the momentum right now to stop this bad idea in its
      tracks! Please call Capitol Hill today.

      The names and phone numbers of your Representative and Senators
      are:

      Rep. John Kline
      (202) 225-2271

      Sen. Mark Dayton
      (202) 224-3244

      Sen. Norm Coleman
      (202) 224-5641

      If you've never called Congress before, it's easy. You'll either
      leave a message with a staff member, or on a voice mail machine.

      TALKING POINTS:

      - Arctic Refuge drilling has been a distraction from real energy
      policy for long enough.

      - It's time to stop bending the rules for oil companies.

      - I want a clean Congress and a clean energy plan.

      **NOTE**: Even if you already know the position of your Senators
      or Representative on this issue, it's important that they hear
      from you now!

      THANK YOU FOR WORKING TO PROTECT THE ARCTIC NATIONAL WILDLIFE
      REFUGE!

      The Wilderness Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to
      conserving American wilderness. Our mission is to ensure that
      future generations will enjoy the clean air and water, wildlife,
      beauty, and opportunity for recreation and renewal provided by
      pristine forests, rivers, deserts, and mountains. As a
      subscriber to WildAlert, you join more than 300,000 Wilderness
      Society members and supporters in our efforts to protect and
      restore America's wild places.

      please visit your subscription management page for WildAlert at:

      http://action.wilderness.org/wilderness/smp.tcl?nkey=indwk6s2fjnbn6k&