Fw: [fuelcell-energy] Activists Demand Action on Global Warming

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2005
      Activists Demand Action on Global Warming

      By PHIL COUVRETTE
      The Associated Press
      Sunday, December 4, 2005; 6:56 AM

      MONTREAL -- Thousands of protesters took to the streets in cities
      worldwide Saturday to demand urgent action on global warming as
      delegates continued their work at an international climate change
      conference to review and update the Kyoto Protocol.

      Police said about 7,000 people marched in downtown Montreal _ some
      dressed up as polar bears. Five environmental groups, including
      Greenpeace and the Climate Crisis Coalition, delivered a petition
      signed by 600,000 Americans to the U.S. consulate in Montreal urging
      President Bush and Congress to help slow global warming.

      "We're worried about climate change, about ways of life in the
      Canadian Arctic disappearing," said Sarah Binder of Montreal's Urban
      Ecology Center.

      Organizers said 10,000 people marched through London, passing Prime
      Minister Tony Blair's home on Downing Street, where they delivered a
      letter demanding the government reaffirm its commitment to Kyoto with
      legally binding targets on emissions reductions.

      Chanting and blowing whistles, the marchers denounced Blair and Bush
      for their perceived environmental failings. Some held banners
      depicting Bush as "Wanted _ for crimes against the planet" and
      advising "Ditch Blair, not Kyoto."

      Canadian Inuit traveled to Montreal from the isolated Arctic north to
      join the protest there. Indian leader Jose Kusugak told The
      Associated Press that he brought along hunters, trappers and elders
      to reassure them that people from the south were not indifferent to
      their plight.

      "It was important to show there are a lot of people in the world who
      care," he said.

      Canada's Environment Minister Stephane Dion, who is presiding over
      the 10-day U.N. Climate Change Conference in Montreal, also took part
      in the march and said final negotiations next week involving some 120
      environment ministers and other government leaders would be crucial
      to improving the Kyoto agreement.

      Bush has been widely criticized for pulling out of the treaty, which
      binds industrialized nations to lower greenhouse gas emissions. The
      United States _ which spews out nearly 25 percent of the world's
      carbon emissions _ was the target of many demonstrators Saturday.

      At a protest in Boston, speakers called on Massachusetts to join with
      seven other Northeast states that are putting limits on carbon
      dioxide emissions from power plants. Gov. Mitt Romney has not signed
      on because he is concerned that the pact could mean increased utility
      rates.

      The agreenent's benefits are numerous, said Marc Breslow, director of
      Massachusetts Climate Action Network, who estimated that about 60
      people rallied at Cathedral of St. Paul, an Episcopal church at the
      foot of Beacon Hill.

      "We won't lose our beaches," he said. "We won't lose our oak trees.
      We won't have more-intense storms."

      Protests were expected in 32 countries, including Canada, the United
      States, Japan, Germany, France, Bangladesh, Brazil, Australia and
      South Africa.

      In Washington, drivers of hybrid cars planned to rally around the
      White House. In New Orleans, residents intended to hold a "Save New
      Orleans, Stop Global Warming" party in the French Quarter.

      ____

      On the Net:

      U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change: http://www.unfccc.int

      Global March for the Climate: http://www.3dec2005.org/-en-

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
      dyn/content/article/2005/12/04/AR2005120400277_pf.html

      http://tinyurl.com/8j2ny

      j2997

      Yahoo! Groups Links