Fw: WILDALERT NEWS: December 2005 Update

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5 9:12 AM
      * WILDALERT NEWS -- December 2005
      * Brought to you by The Wilderness Society

      In this issue of WildAlert News:
      1. Welcome
      2. Go Wild: Mountaintown Roadless Area, Georgia
      3. Take Action: Arctic Refuge, Roadless petition
      4. Inside Story: Monongahela Comments Flood Forest Service
      5. News: House bill would sell off Western public lands; New
      Wilderness for Puerto Rico; Conservation Groups Take Action To
      Protect Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
      6. Trivia
      7. Wilderness Society 2006 Calendar
      8. Support The Wilderness Society
      9. Words to Inspire

      1. WELCOME

      It's hard to believe the end of the year is upon us. I hope that
      in the bustle of this holiday season you take time for yourself,
      perhaps to reflect on the things that enrich your life.
      Certainly the WildAlert community enriches mine. This month's
      e-newsletter provides you another chance to speak up on behalf
      of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and other cherished
      lands. Thanks for taking action!

      Regards,
      Kathy Kilmer
      Director, Electronic Communications

      2. GO WILD:
      WILDERNESS ON THE DOORSTEP OF A CITY:
      MOUNTAINTOWN ROADLESS AREA, CHATTAHOOCHEE NATIONAL FOREST,
      GEORGIA

      Atlanta isn't the only wild place to visit in Georgia. From
      seeking out endangered wildflowers to thrill-seeking on a raging
      river, the best feature of the Mountaintown Roadless Area in the
      Chattahoochee National Forest is the array of recreational
      activities offered in wilderness that exists today as it always
      has -- despite being only a two-hour drive from Atlanta.

      Go there:
      http://action.wilderness.org/ct/TdM6a2917con/mountaintown

      3. TAKE ACTION:
      SAVE THE ARCTIC REFUGE AND OTHER PUBLIC LANDS

      The House returns this week (and the Senate next week) from
      Thanksgiving break, and there's a small chance the House/Senate
      conference on the budget bill will take place this month. We
      need to be sure Congress hears loud and clear that no
      legislation should pass if it has measures to drill in the
      Arctic National Wildlife Refuge or mining law changes that would
      authorize the sale of some of our best western lands. Send that
      message now from:
      http://action.wilderness.org/campaign/arcticconference/indwk6srv7ktkk8?

      Also, it's not too late to sign our citizen's petition to
      protect roadless areas on our national forests. You can sign the
      petition at:
      http://action.wilderness.org/campaign/roadlesspetition/indwk6srv7ktkk8?

      4. INSIDE STORY:
      MONONGAHELA COMMENTS FLOOD FOREST SERVICE

      U.S. Forest Service personnel in Elkins, West Virginia, got a
      bit of a jolt last month when they received more than 15,000
      public comments -- far more than anticipated -- about their
      proposed plans for the Monongahela National Forest. The "Mon" is
      prized for its world-class recreation and its many opportunities
      to experience the joys and solitude of wilderness in a quickly
      developing region.

      The comments, most of them from WildAlert subscribers, were in
      response to a Forest Service proposal to triple logging on the
      forest, increase the size of clear-cuts and reduce protections
      for special places.

      "The Forest Service will not be able to ignore this overwhelming
      response," pointed out Matt Keller, Campaign Coordinator, West
      Virginia Wilderness Coalition. "A great diversity of local
      citizens and businesses called upon the agency to improve its
      draft plan dramatically and add significantly more wilderness
      protection on the forest."

      Learn more at:
      http://action.wilderness.org/ct/T7M6a2917co8/westvirginia-index

      5. NEWS:

      HOUSE BILL WOULD SELL OFF WESTERN MONUMENT LAND
      Mining provision threatens National Monuments, Wilderness Areas,
      Wild and Scenic Rivers, in addition to Parks and Forests. Read
      the full story at:
      http://action.wilderness.org/ct/T1M6a2917coh/release-20051201

      CONGRESS PASSES BILL ESTABLISHING WILDERNESS AREA IN THE
      CARIBBEAN NATIONAL FOREST IN PUERTO RICO
      Legislation protects our nation's first tropical forest
      wilderness area. Read the full story at:
      http://action.wilderness.org/ct/Y7M6a2917coU/release-20051117

      CONSERVATION GROUPS TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT GRAND
      STAIRCASE-ESCALANTE NATIONAL MONUMENT
      The Wilderness Society and other groups are seeking court action
      to ensure that natural and cultural resources of the Grand
      Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah are
      protected as required by the federal Antiquities Act and other
      laws. Read the full story at:
      http://action.wilderness.org/ct/YpM6a2917coy/release-20051122

      6. DO YOU KNOW?

      How many people in the Southern Appalachians depend on Eastern
      Forest waters for their clean-water supply?

      Answer: More than 10 million people

      7. WILDERNESS SOCIETY 2006 CALENDAR

      Keep wilderness near every day of the year by purchasing The
      Wilderness Society's 2006 calendar. This oversized wall calendar
      features stunning photos, and each purchase benefits The
      Wilderness Society. Order several for holiday giving. Just
      $12.95.
      http://action.wilderness.org/ct/YdM6a2917coE/calendar2006

      8. SUPPORT THE WILDERNESS SOCIETY

      Here's your chance to make a year-end contribution to The
      Wilderness Society.

      This year, The Wilderness Society has brought to bear all its
      resources to protect America's roadless forests, the Arctic
      National Wildlife Refuge, and many other pristine wild places
      across the nation. Will you help us continue our work in 2006 by
      making a year-end contribution today?
      https://secure.ga1.org/05/donate_tws/nedM6a291XPCV?

      Remember, midnight on December 31st is the deadline for
      contributions to The Wilderness Society in order to meet the
      deadline for 2005 tax deductions!

      9. WORDS TO INSPIRE

      "The scarcest resource is not oil, metals, clean air, capital,
      labor, or technology. It is our willingness to listen to each
      other and learn from each other and to seek the truth rather
      than seek to be right."
      - Donella Meadows, environmental scientist, teacher, and writer
      (1941-2001)

      The Wilderness Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to
      conserving American wilderness. Our mission is to ensure that
      future generations will enjoy the clean air and water, wildlife,
      beauty, and opportunity for recreation and renewal provided by
      pristine forests, rivers, deserts, and mountains. As a
      subscriber to WildAlert, you join more than 300,000 Wilderness
      Society members and supporters in our efforts to protect and
      restore America's wild places.

      Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
      http://action.wilderness.org/wilderness/join-forward.html?domain=wilderness&r=edM6a291XPCV&

      If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for
      the The Wilderness Society Center at:
      http://action.wilderness.org/wilderness/join.html?r=edM6a291XPCVE&

      To unsubscribe or update your address and account information,
      please visit your subscription management page for WildAlert at:

      http://action.wilderness.org/wilderness/smp.tcl?nkey=indwk6srv7ktkk8&