Animals 'hit by global warming'

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
      Animals 'hit by global warming'
      By Tim Hirsch
      Environment Correspondent, BBC News

      Climate change could lead to the extinction of many animals including
      migratory birds, says a report commissioned by the UK government.
      Melting ice, spreading deserts and the impact of warm seas on the sex
      of turtles are among threats identified.

      The report is being launched at a meeting of EU nature conservation
      chiefs in Scotland.

      It says that warming has already changed the migration routes of some
      birds and other animals.

      The UK's Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
      commissioned the research, which was led by the British Trust for
      Ornithology.

      The meeting, in the Scottish holiday resort of Aviemore, was called
      to discuss ways in which wildlife might be helped to adapt to global
      warming.

      Times already changing

      Scientists have already observed a wide range of changes in the
      migration patterns of birds, fish and turtles, apparently in response
      to warming which has already taken place.

      Some species normally associated with more southerly countries, such
      as the little egret, the loggerhead turtle, and the red mullet, are
      increasingly seen in and around the UK.

      Wading birds such as the ringed plover are now spending the winter in
      the east of Britain rather than on the west coast, and chiff-chaffs
      are remaining in the UK throughout the year rather than migrating
      south.
      While many species have been able to adapt to new conditions simply
      by moving their ranges further towards the poles, the study warns
      that this option is not available to other animals, such as polar
      bears and seals whose habitat is disappearing rapidly with the
      melting of Arctic sea ice.

      Even subtle changes in sea temperature can have dramatic impacts on
      wildlife with rapid depletion of the tiny plankton organisms which
      form the base of the food web in the oceans.

      This is thought to have contributed to a recent drastic decline in
      the breeding success of some Scottish seabirds, as the fish on which
      they depend were suddenly deprived of food.

      Some of the other threats from climate change identified in the study
      include:

      Increased storminess damaging the breeding colonies of albatross,
      already facing heavy pressure from accidental capture on long-line
      fishing hooks
      Sea level rise destroying beach nesting sites for sea turtles - for
      example, nearly a third of beaches used by turtles in the Caribbean
      would be lost with the rise anticipated during this century, and
      seals and wading birds also face destruction of their coastal
      habitats
      Warmer seas could lead to some turtle species becoming entirely
      female, as water temperature strongly affects the sex ratio of
      hatchlings
      Growing water scarcity in many regions could further destroy the
      wetland areas on which migrating waterfowl depend.
      The spreading extent of the Sahara desert could threaten long-range
      travellers such as the swallow, as they will be unable to "fuel up"
      in previously fertile regions on the desert's edge.
      "Our changing climate is already affecting a wide range of migratory
      species," said Humphrey Crick from the British Trust for Ornithology,
      one of the report's authors.
      "They range from the swallow crossing the Sahara to the albatrosses
      of the southern oceans; but this report shows that the potential
      impacts are really widespread.

      "There is some scope for helping species adapt to climate change, but
      we need to find global solutions to help animals that swim, fly and
      walk thousands of miles each year."

      Too far, too fast

      Nature has always had to adapt to changing climate conditions.
      Indeed, it is one of the driving forces behind the process of
      evolution which has produced the staggering variety of life on Earth.

      But the fear is that the changes currently under way are simply too
      rapid for species to evolve new strategies for survival.

      Their options are also being narrowed by the rapid conversion of
      ecosystems such as the draining of wetlands, felling of forests and
      development of coastlines - so if their existing habitats are hit by
      global warming, there is literally no place to go.

      The report has important messages for conservation officials gathered
      in Scotland for this meeting convened by Defra.

      They are being urged to make more use of "biological corridors" to
      widen the options available to migrating species as climate change
      takes hold.

      The whole approach to conservation may have to be radically changed -
      the most perfectly-protected nature reserve could end up being of
      little use if the animals breeding there face starvation because they
      have nowhere to migrate.

      Story from BBC NEWS:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/4313726.stm

      Published: 2005/10/05 23:03:43 GMT

      © BBC MMV
    • Mike Neuman
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
        Original Release:
        http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2005/051006b.htm

        Full Report:
        http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-
        countryside/resprog/findings/climatechange-migratory/index.htm

        --- In ClimateArchive@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Neuman" <mtneuman@j...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Their options are also being narrowed by the rapid conversion of
        > ecosystems such as the draining of wetlands, felling of forests and
        > development of coastlines - so if their existing habitats are hit
        by
        > global warming, there is literally no place to go.
        >
        > The report has important messages for conservation officials
        gathered
        > in Scotland for this meeting convened by Defra.
        >
        > They are being urged to make more use of "biological corridors" to
        > widen the options available to migrating species as climate change
        > takes hold.
        >
        > The whole approach to conservation may have to be radically
        changed -
        > the most perfectly-protected nature reserve could end up being of
        > little use if the animals breeding there face starvation because

      • Mike Neuman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
          EU's Policy-makers Told to Help Wildlife Adapt to Climate Change NOW:
          http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2005/051006c.htm