G8 Summit Summary

  • mtneuman@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11 5:03 AM
      In a joint statement, the science academies of the G8 countries along
      with those of Brazil, China and India said that clear scientific evidence
      demands prompt action on climate change. The scientific evidence on
      climate change is now clear enough for the leaders of G8 to commit to
      take prompt action to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases.

      FACTBOX - G8 Climate Declaration and Action Plan
      -------

      UK: July 11, 2005

      GLENEAGLES, Scotland - The Group of Eight powers meeting in Scotland
      declared on Friday that global warming required urgent action, but set no
      measurable targets for reducing the greenhouse gases that trigger it and
      so contribute to climate change.

      Here are the key points of their communique:
      -- The G8 acknowledge that human activity contributes in large part to an
      increase in greenhouse gases that is linked to global warming.

      -- They say existing science provides enough information to justify
      acting now to "put ourselves on a path to slow and, as the science
      justifies, stop and then reverse it the growth of greenhouse gases".

      -- They pledge to "act with resolve and urgency" to reach common goals
      that include reducing greenhouse gases, but without setting any
      measurable target or timeframe.

      -- They pledge to launch a wider dialogue on climate change, clean energy
      and sustainable development, bringing in other major energy consumers, to
      begin on Nov. 1.

      -- They say it is in the world's interests to work in partnership with
      major emerging economies -- a reference in particular to China and India,
      which are expected to expand their greenhouse gas output rapidly with
      economic growth.

      -- The binding Kyoto Protocol on cutting greenhouse gases, signed by
      seven of the G8 powers but termed economic suicide by US President George
      W. Bush, is mentioned only in passing.

      -- The draft says the United Nations is the appropriate forum to
      negotiate future action on climate change.

      -- A new Action Plan promises a range of measures to increase energy
      efficiency in industry, buildings, appliances and transport; encourage
      diversification of energy sources and use of renewable ones; promote
      cleaner use of fossil fuels; and coordinate research and development.

      http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/31589/story.htm
      ---------------------
      CHAIR�S SUMMARY, GLENEAGLES SUMMIT, 8 JULY

      Climate Change

      We were joined for our discussion on climate change and the global
      economy by the leaders of Brazil, China, India, Mexico, and South Africa
      and by the heads of the International Energy Agency, International
      Monetary Fund, United Nations, World Bank, and the World Trade
      Organisation.

      We have issued a statement setting out our common purpose in tackling
      climate change, promoting clean energy and achieving sustainable
      development.

      All of us agreed that climate change is happening now, that human
      activity is contributing to it, and that it could affect every part of
      the globe.

      We know that, globally, emissions must slow, peak and then decline,
      moving us towards a low-carbon economy. This will require leadership from
      the developed world.

      We resolved to take urgent action to meet the challenges we face. The
      Gleneagles Plan of Action which we have agreed demonstrates our
      commitment. We will take measures to develop markets for clean energy
      technologies, to increase their availability in developing countries, and
      to help vulnerable communities adapt to the impact of climate change.

      We warmly welcomed the involvement of the leaders of the emerging economy
      countries in our discussions, and their ideas for new approaches to
      international co-operation on clean energy technologies between the
      developed and developing world.

      Our discussions mark the beginning of a new Dialogue between the G8
      nations and other countries with significant energy needs, consistent
      with the aims and principles of the UN Framework Convention on Climate
      Change. This will explore how best to exchange technology, reduce
      emissions, and meet our energy needs in a sustainable way, as we
      implement and build on the Plan of Action.

      We will advance the global effort to tackle climate change at the UN
      Climate Change Conference in Montreal later this year. Those of us who
      have ratified the Kyoto Protocol remain committed to it, and will
      continue to work to make it a success.
      http://www.g8.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage
      &c=Page&cid=1119518698846
      http://www.g8.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage