Scientists Urged to Spread Word on Global Warming

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2005
      Please also see:
      http://milwaukee.indymedia.org/en/2005/03/203052.shtml
      http://madison.indymedia.org/feature/display/21576/index.php

      ------- Forwarded Message -------
      Scientists urged to spread word on global warming
      April 12, 2005
      Physorg.com

      Global warming is real, dangerous and ignored at great risk to the
      planet, a leading environmentalist told an audience of about 250 at
      last week's inaugural MIT Environmental Fellows Invitational Lecture.
      Professor James Gustave Speth, Dean of Yale University's School of
      Forestry and Environmental Studies, urged the scientific community to
      make its case to the public, which remains unconvinced of the crisis
      despite decades of first-rate science and policy analysis, he
      said.

      Temperatures at the Arctic are already climbing, and there will
      be "irreparable damage in the decades ahead due to our negligence" in
      addressing climate change. U.S. policy makers and citizens must be
      spurred into action, Speth said in his talk, "Some Say by Fire:
      Climate Change and the American Response," held Wednesday, April 6.

      "If I had a hundred million dollars," Speth said, "I think I'd put
      almost every penny of it into a public service advertising
      campaignÂ…
      because we've got to reach lots of people quickly with this issue."

      Speth is a founder of the World Resources Institute, co-founder of
      the Natural Resources Defense Council and former advisor to
      Presidents Carter and Clinton. His lecture was sponsored by the
      Laboratory for Energy and the Environment.

      Climate-change research results and forecasts appear repeatedly in
      the scientific literature--some information "startling in its
      significance"--but Speth said good climate science rarely reaches the
      public in a "forceful and meaningful way." Indeed, the mainstream
      American press persists in portraying global change as controversial
      and uncertain, he said.

      There is now clear consensus among scientists that Earth's climate is
      being affected by the greenhouse gases generated by human
      activities. "We've seen these credible forecasts and credible
      warnings coming from the scientific community for the better part of
      three decades," Speth said. "But the influence of all the good
      science on policy and action has been puny compared with the need."

      Noting MIT's phenomenal capacity to help tackle this critical global
      problem, Speth called for scientists at MIT and elsewhere to actively
      engage in public policy debates and issues. "Only the scientific
      community has the credibility to take the climate issue to the public
      and to the politicians," he said.

      Given the lack of action at the federal level, he called for building
      a broad network of civic, scientific, environmental, religious,
      business and other communities to demand action and to take concrete
      steps to reduce emissions.

      What can universities do? He recommended that they join together and
      commit to reducing their own emissions, which are often significant.

      Source: MIT
      http://www.physorg.com/printnews.php?newsid=3675

      Pat N