Barack Obama plans to resign, renew flagging green movement

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 2:28 PM
      Barack Obama plans to resign, renew flagging green movement

      Illinois senator and progressive hero Barack Obama (D) provoked a
      furor yesterday with the announcement that he will resign from the
      Senate at the end of the year. Instead of fulfilling his term, he
      plans to head up an environmental coalition called Bright Green
      Future, with a charter to forge working alliances with labor groups,
      national security experts, hunting and fishing groups, religious
      congregations, and, said Obama, "anybody else who shares our vision
      of a prosperous, sustainable future for America." The coalition has
      been enthusiastically endorsed in press releases by the Sierra Club,
      Natural Resources Defense Council, and some 15 other big national
      green groups. "There's a limit to what we can accomplish in Congress
      until environmentalism becomes a genuine political force," said
      Obama. "I'm going to redirect my energy to work toward reviving the
      momentum behind green issues." The announcement prompted a firestorm
      of outrage and disappointment in Illinois, where Obama was elected by
      a wide margin last year. But enviros were ecstatic to find an ally
      with a proven record of, well, being noticed.

      straight to the source: Chicago Sun Times, Cherilyn LaPiere, 01 Apr 2005
      <http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=4694>

      straight to the source: The Washington Post, Eve Jihan Jeffers, 01 Apr
      2005
      <http://grist.org/cgi-bin/forward.pl?forward_id=4695>