Fw: [Global Warming] Jim Baker jumps ship

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2005
      This is the biggest crack in the Bushies front on GW I've ever seen.
      I guess it's getting hot in Houston.

      Baker doesn't propose to join Kyoto but wants to move to "some sort
      of gradual, resourceful search for alternative sources (of fuel)".
      Presumably this would involve more than just letting the market and
      R&D show the way since that's what we are doing right now.

      "U.S. Must Address Global Warming, Bush Ally Says

      Thu Mar 3, 8:20 PM ET Science - Reuters

      HOUSTON (Reuters) - Former Secretary of State James Baker, a close
      ally of the Bush family, broke ranks with the Bush administration on
      Thursday and called for the United States to get serious about
      global warming.

      Baker, in a speech to an audience that included a number of oil
      company executives, said "orderly" change to alternative energy was
      needed.

      "It may surprise you a little bit, but maybe it's because I'm a
      hunter and a fisherman, but I think we need to a pay a little more
      attention to what we need to do to protect our environment," he told
      the Houston Forum Club.

      "When you have energy companies like Shell and British Petroleum,
      both of which are perhaps represented in this room, saying there is
      a problem with excess carbon dioxide emission, I think we ought to
      listen," Baker said.

      Baker ran presidential campaigns for George Bush (news - web sites)
      and served in his Cabinet and led George W. Bush's controversial
      legal fight to win the Florida vote in the 2000 election.

      The current Bush administration has been skeptical about global
      warming and refused to sign on to the international Kyoto Treaty to
      combat climate change, saying it would hurt the U.S. economy.

      Baker said he agreed with the decision not to join Kyoto, calling
      it "a lousy treaty" because it did not include China and India.

      But he said he supported "a gradual and orderly transition" to new
      fuels.

      "I think we need to go forward with some sort of gradual,
      resourceful search for alternative sources," Baker said.

      Many scientists blame the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and
      oil for creating a "greenhouse" effect that is warming the world
      climate.

      The United States is the leading oil consumer and top producer of
      greenhouse gases. Most U.S. energy companies reject the idea that
      global warming is occurring."

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&cid=585&e=3&u=/nm/20050304/sc_nm/environment_baker_dc