Comments on NOAA's Strategic Plan, and reply from NOAA

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2005
      Comment on NOAA's Strategic Plan Updated for FY 2005 - FY 2010
      ----------

      My input sent on 27 Aug 2004

      Public Comment on NOAA's Strategic Plan
      by: Patrick J. Neuman, Chanhassen, MN

      1. Use of the term " Climate Variability and Change" causes
      unnecessary public misunderstandings and should be replaced by the
      term "global climate warming".

      2. ... NOAA has enormous responsibility to the citizens of the U.S.
      and the world. With global warming, it is of great importance to the
      world that NOAA seek to educate the public on global warming. The
      preponderance of evidence calls for NOAA to: 1) make a statement that
      major reductions in greenhouse gas emissions are paramount, and 2)
      make a call for action to inform and help in preparing the public for
      global warming in order to reduce loss of life, damages to property
      and prevent heavy losses to the world environment.
      --- End ---

      Reply from "Strategic.Planning" <strategic.planning@...>
      Date Monday, October 25, 2004 6:50 am
      To Pat Neuman
      Subject Re:Comment on NOAA's Strategic Plan Updated
      for FY 2005 - FY 2010

      MEMORANDUM FOR: Patrick J. Neuman

      FROM: James H. Butler
      Acting Director,
      Strategic Planning Office
      Program Planning and
      Integration

      NOAA chose to use the term "climate variability and change" rather
      than global warming because it is the preferred term used by NOAA and
      the Climate Change Science Plan.

      The Climate Goal addresses global warming and greenhouse gases in
      addition to other forcing. These factors are addressed within the
      context of NOAA's overall Climate Mission Goal.

      -------

      [General remarks in reply from NOAA]

      We appreciate your time and efforts and look forward to implementing
      this plan through NOAA's programs and Line Offices. Responsive and
      comprehensive planning is necessary for us to provide better
      information, services, and products for society in making
      environmental, economic, and social decisions. Your contributions
      help us do that.

      ---------
      We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to review
      and comment on the NOAA Strategic Plan for 2005-2010. We realize
      your time is valuable, yet we also realize the importance of internal
      and external reviews in our planning process and value your
      contribution. Most of those who reviewed this version of the plan
      considered it to be an improved, relevant strategic plan for NOAA.
      As a whole, recommendations for making changes focused on how we
      handle partnerships, the role of satellites in the agency, how we
      will deal with cross-goal linkages, and the vision and mission
      statements. We discussed and addressed all comments and made changes
      in the plan where appropriate. The letter from Under Secretary
      Lautenbacher that accompanies the plan also clarifies how we envision
      partnerships as an integral part of the NOAA enterprise.

      The NOAA Strategic Plan has now been revised and approved and is
      available on the web at http://www.spo.noaa.gov