Seattle dreams of 'green' team

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/212425_kyoto17.html

      Seattle dreams of 'green' team
      Mayor urging other U.S. cities to enact Kyoto Protocol

      Thursday, February 17, 2005

      By KATHY MULADY
      SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

      The U.S. government may have turned its back on the Kyoto Protocol,
      but Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels said yesterday he plans to spearhead a
      city-by-city effort to implement the climate-protection measures that
      went into effect in more than 100 other countries yesterday.

      Nickels said he is gathering support from mayors in other cities and
      plans to build a "green" coalition of his counterparts at the U.S.
      Conference of Mayors when the group meets in Chicago in June.

      "Seattle, along with other U.S. cities, will provide the leadership
      necessary to meet this threat," Nickels said.

      He plans to introduce a resolution at the mayors conference setting
      up the coalition for other cities to join. To be eligible, cities
      would have to agree to certain steps to lower greenhouse gas
      emissions. The details of the resolution are still being worked out.

      The Kyoto Protocol was hammered out in Kyoto, Japan, in 1997 and
      commits countries to reduce or limit the output of six gases, chiefly
      carbon dioxide, a byproduct of burning coal and oil products.

      By 2012 the European Union, for example, is to reduce emissions by 8
      percent below 1990 levels and Japan by 6 percent.

      The United States had envisioned a 7 percent reduction, signed the
      protocol in 1997, but in 2001, President Bush renounced the
      agreement, saying compliance would cost millions of U.S. jobs.

      In the meantime, many cities across the country, including Seattle,
      have adopted the Kyoto Protocol standards, or set even higher goals.

      When the city of Seattle adopted the Kyoto Protocol four years ago,
      while Paul Schell was mayor, it joined nearly 100 other U.S. cities
      in setting reduction targets.

      The 2001 resolution called for dramatically reducing greenhouse gas
      emissions by the city, and calling on national leaders to support
      targets at least as aggressive as those described in the Kyoto
      Protocol.

      Nickels said he will work with the state Legislature to pass the
      clean-car bill, requiring stronger emission standards for cars sold
      in Washington. The legislation is based on a similar law adopted in
      California.

      Nickels has also directed city departments to reduce paper use 30
      percent by the end of 2006 and said that global warming will be a
      consideration in doling out neighborhood matching fund grants.

      Yesterday, Nickels also announced a commission on climate protection
      that will be led by Denis Hayes, founder of the first Earth Day and
      president of the environmentally focused Bullitt Foundation. Orin
      Smith, president of Starbucks Coffee Co., also will lead the
      committee.

      In making his announcement yesterday, Nickels was flanked by Hayes
      and Steve Howard, chief executive of the Climate Group, a non-profit
      based in London dedicated to slowing greenhouse gas emissions.

      Hayes described the effects of global warming that are already being
      seen in Europe. He described small indicators such as bees that no
      longer hibernate and a 2003 heat wave that killed thousands in Europe.

      "Early movers like Seattle have a farsighted advantage in taking a
      leadership position," Howard said. "It is good for business, good for
      the community and good for the world."

      Some see evidence of global warming in the Pacific Northwest where
      the snowpack provides water, hydroelectricity and irrigation.
      According to reports, the Cascade snowpack is down 50 percent since
      1950.

      The city of Seattle government has reduced its emissions 60 percent
      since 1990, said Steve Nicholas, director of the city's Office of
      Sustainability and Environment. The city required more fuel
      efficiency in its cars and attempted to reduce the number of trips
      taken.

      However, communitywide it is a different story, according to a report
      by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.

      By 2010 emissions are expected to increase 21 percent above the 1990
      number, and by 38 percent by 2020.

      About 50 percent of those emissions come from vehicles.

      Councilwoman Jean Godden, head of the city's energy and environmental
      policy committee, was in Olympia yesterday to testify in support of
      the proposed clean car legislation. The bill calls on manufacturers
      to dramatically reduce car emissions by 2012.

      "Interestingly enough, by doing that it could save people about $18 a
      month in gasoline costs," Godden said.

      She said she is excited about Nickels' plans.

      "As we know, the council adopted the Kyoto Protocol in 2001, and now
      the mayor has taken it a step farther and is challenging other cities
      to do the same," she said. "I am very excited, we are going the right
      direction and setting the standard. "

      Councilman Richard Conlin, who was also in Olympia yesterday, called
      Nickels' announcement "great."

      "All of those things are wonderful; we are glad to have him on
      board," Conlin said.

      K.C. Golden, policy director for Climate Solutions, said Seattle is
      well positioned to set the standard for other cities.

      "This was ground zero for the information revolution, we have more
      than our share of the world's innovators here," he said. "Our
      contribution to the solution can be bigger than our contribution to
      the problem."

      Mayors in some other cities have already pledged to work with Seattle.

      In a statement, Portland Mayor Tom Potter said his city was the first
      in the country to adopt a policy for reducing greenhouse gas
      emissions.

      "We are proud that the people of Seattle share our vision for turning
      the crisis of global warming into an opportunity to transform our
      economy and leave a healthier planet for our children and
      grandchildren," he said.

      Mayor Jerry Brown of Oakland, Calif., added his support. Oakland has
      set a goal of 15 percent reduction by 2010.