Drive-less Rebates

  • mtneuman@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      --------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: mtneuman@...
      To: SDdiscuss@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:41:16 -0600
      Subject: Re: [SDdiscuss] Pay-as-you-drive car insurance

      Most insurance companies have been offering reduced insurance rates for
      low mileage driving for years. They just don't promote the fact that
      they have been doing that. If you say you drive 7,500 miles per year or
      less on a vehicle, that will usually get you the lower rate.

      Pay-as-you drive is just an expansion of that concept. I'm not aware of
      it being promoted much in Wisconsin, but to know for sure a few calls to
      the major insurance companies in Madison would probably give you the
      answer.

      I personally think the incentive is not great enough to get people who
      drive significantly more miles per year to reduce their mileage.

      You might be interested in a proposal I made to the Wisconsin Department
      of Transportation a few years ago during the time that they were
      preparing their State Highway Plan 2020. I was working for the Wisconsin
      Department of Natural Resources, and we proposed that the DOT evaluate,
      as an alternative to highway capacity expansion in the state, a plan that
      would offer financial incentives (annual rebates) to individuals and
      households that held their annual driving mileage down below various
      identified threshold mileage levels for the year.

      You can read more about it from the links I provide below, but in
      nutshell, individuals and families could "earn" between $400 - $2,800 per
      year by driving less significantly less than typical annual driving
      mileage (or not driving at all).

      http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=wsj:1999:12:01:301029:Local/
      Wisconsin
      http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/nov99/hiway30112999a.asp