Comments on "Strange Bedfellows" at http://www.realclimate.org

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2005
      Excerpt comments on "Strange Bedfellows"

      http://www.realclimate.org

      ----------------------------------
      Comment 24 by Grundt — 11 Feb 2005

      Re 17. Thank you for the links.

      Yes, I remember reading in 1998 and later about feedback Global
      Warming-Ozone destruction. Personally I think that what you suggest:
      --" Could that destruction be more severe to Earth's biota than
      temperature change? " -- needs far more attention from Scientific
      community.

      Biological adaptation to harmful UV is, it seems, a lot more difficult
      than adaptation to Temperature changes alone, (not taking in account
      radiative effects, which I understand are forcing factors in Climate
      terms)

      Of course, Global Warming carries within a Pandora box. The
      concomitant events for temperature changes are a furious beast, as a
      renowned scientist, pointed reffering to playing with Climate .

      Which is more important today...?

      Comment 24. by Grundt — 11 Feb 2005
      ----------------------------------

      -----------------------
      Response to comment 17.

      [Response: the idea that GW could make OD worse *is* studied - though
      the mechanism I know of is different. It is: GW will cool the
      stratosphere. A colder stratosphere can support more polar
      stratospheric clouds (there is a temperature threshold for their
      formation), and PSC's are a vital part of OD. At the moment, the
      Antarctic strat is colder than the Arctic, hence most OD there. But
      people study whether the Arctic might cool enough to develope proper
      ozone holes of its own. Its a balance, I think, between GW (or
      cooling, in the strat) and the slow decline of ozone-depleting
      chemicals - William]

      http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/science/ice_crystals.html