EU Wants to Curb Greenhouse Gas Emissions Beyond 2012

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2005
      EU Wants to Curb Greenhouse Gas Emissions Beyond 2012

      February 09, 2005 — By Associated Press
      BRUSSELS, Belgium — The European Union head office proposed plans for
      curbing greenhouse gas emissions beyond 2012 on Wednesday, arguing
      that environmental protection need not come at the expense of
      economic growth if countries work together.

      With its proposal the European Commission became the first region in
      the world to announce a post-Kyoto strategy, underscoring its role as
      a global leader in environmental protection. The 25-nation bloc will
      present its plans to U.S. President George W. Bush during his Feb. 22
      visit to Brussels.

      "Without strong political leadership we can't win this battle," said
      EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso. "We must act now."

      The EU played a major part in getting Kyoto off the ground -- a
      difficult task after the United States, the world's largest emitter
      of greenhouse gases, pulled out of the treaty in 2001. The United
      States said the agreement would hurt its industry and hinder economic
      growth.

      Washington favors voluntary agreements with industry over binding
      targets, and is investing billion of dollars into new climate-
      friendly technologies.

      The EU also wants to encourage rapidly emerging economies, such as
      China and India, to play an active role because although emissions
      per capita in these countries are lower than in the West, the large
      size of their pollution coupled with economic growth will make them
      bigger polluters than the United States and Europe together in the
      coming decades.

      "Fighting climate change is not a matter of choice, but a matter of
      necessity, said EU Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas. "We will
      continue to lead by example, but we will also continue to pressure
      hard for all of our international partners to come on board."

      Within Europe new incentives, such as tax breaks, for the development
      and uptake of new climate-friendly technologies are being considered.
      The EU Commission also wants to increase -- by an unspecified amount -
      - money invested in research and development. Moreover, the
      replacement of old power plants, transport systems and buildings also
      should be guided by green principles.

      The EU believes emissions from airplanes and shipping need to be
      addressed both in Europe and abroad. They are currently outside the
      Kyoto rules because some governments feared that applying pollution
      targets to transport could hinder the development of global trade,
      hurting economic growth and jobs.

      The EU says the costs associated with curbing emissions are
      manageable for the world's economies, providing they act together.
      Reducing emissions by around 1.5 percent a year in the EU after 2012
      would shave a total of 0.5 percent to 1.5 percent off growth by 2025,
      the Commission says.

      EU leaders will debate the Commission's proposal at a summit in
      Brussels in March.

      Source: Associated Press
      http://enn.com/today.html?id=7103