Re: Fw: Chossudovsky Says US Had Advance Warning of Tsunami

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
      WORT-FM radio in Madison did an interview with a man who works for a
      NOAA agency doing seismograph reading in Alaska. He said they knew
      about the quake 2 and 1/2 minutes after it occurred, and that they
      suspected a tsunami resulted but had no evidence until they saw the
      destruction on TV.

      I didn't catch the whole interview, but the conclusion I got was that
      NOAA dropped the ball. Just like global warming, despite
      overwhelming evidence of impending catastrophe (earthquake of 8+
      under Indian Ocean), NOAA failed to alert the public of the
      approaching calamity.

      --- In ClimateArchive@yahoogroups.com, "Pat N self only" <npat1@j...>
      wrote:

      > Fwd from ecopilgrim...

      the State Department were given advance tsunami warning and America's
      Navy base on the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean was
      notified but the information was not passed on to the countries that
      bore the brunt of the disaster.

      > Prof. Michel Chossudovsky of the University of Ottawa asks in an
      analysis produced for the Venus Project why fishermen in India, Sri
      Lanka and Thailand were not provided with the same warnings as the US
      Navy and the US State Department. He wants to know why the US State
      Department remained mum on the existence of an impending catastrophe.
      With a modern communications system, why did the information not get
      out? By email, telephone, fax, satellite TV, he asks, as it could
      have saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.
      > (snip)
      > Forwarded with Compliments of Free Voice of America (FVOA):
      Accurate News and Interesting Commentary for Amerika's Huddled Masses
      Yearning to Breathe Free. NOTE: Thanks to Nico Haupt for the first
      of these, to John Ross for the second and to Martine Algier for the
      third. -- kl, pp