Fw: Chossudovsky Says US Had Advance Warning of Tsunami

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
      Fwd from ecopilgrim...

      ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
      Monday, January 03, 2005

      Chossudovsky Says US Had Advance Warning of Tsunami
      By Khalid Hasan

      WASHINGTON: A Canadian expert has claimed that the US Military and the State Department were given advance tsunami warning and America's Navy base on the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean was notified but the information was not passed on to the countries that bore the brunt of the disaster.

      Prof. Michel Chossudovsky of the University of Ottawa asks in an analysis produced for the Venus Project why fishermen in India, Sri Lanka and Thailand were not provided with the same warnings as the US Navy and the US State Department. He wants to know why the US State Department remained mum on the existence of an impending catastrophe. With a modern communications system, why did the information not get out? By email, telephone, fax, satellite TV, he asks, as it could have saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.
      (snip)
      Forwarded with Compliments of Free Voice of America (FVOA): Accurate News and Interesting Commentary for Amerika's Huddled Masses Yearning to Breathe Free. NOTE: Thanks to Nico Haupt for the first of these, to John Ross for the second and to Martine Algier for the third. -- kl, pp

      US had advance warning of tsunami: Canadian professor
      http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_3-1-2005_pg7_37

      Juno Gift Certificates
      Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
      http://www.juno.com/give
    • Mike Neuman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
        WORT-FM radio in Madison did an interview with a man who works for a
        NOAA agency doing seismograph reading in Alaska. He said they knew
        about the quake 2 and 1/2 minutes after it occurred, and that they
        suspected a tsunami resulted but had no evidence until they saw the
        destruction on TV.

        I didn't catch the whole interview, but the conclusion I got was that
        NOAA dropped the ball. Just like global warming, despite
        overwhelming evidence of impending catastrophe (earthquake of 8+
        under Indian Ocean), NOAA failed to alert the public of the
        approaching calamity.

        --- In ClimateArchive@yahoogroups.com, "Pat N self only" <npat1@j...>