Re: Global climate change is more than an evironmental issue

  • patneuman2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
      Forwarded message, with permission from Mike Wood.

      --- In alternatepower@yahoogroups.com, <npat1@j...> wrote:

      Mike Wood,

      I think your note is bothersome, that:

      > It is also worthy of note that it is now being said
      > that the warnings of tsunami were not given by some
      > governments "in deference to the tourism industry".

      If the government had known of the magnitude of the devastation that
      was about to happen it likely would have sounded the warming.... but
      not knowing is NO excuse for not acting... it was irresponsible to
      downplay the danger and do nothing, which is what the U.S. government
      continues doing in regards to global warming.

      My hope is that the Dec 26, 2004 tsunami in the Indian ocean has
      jarred the U.S. enough to stir the people and government in the U.S.
      into action on global warming. Then at least some good might come from
      the horrible devastation caused by the tsunami.

      I think your post is informative. I would like to forward this to the
      P&C groups if that's ok with you. Also, I hope you will consider
      joining them.

      Pat Neuman
      Minnesota

      --- In alternatepower@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wood, Cincinnati"
      <michaelwood@f...> wrote:
      Good point Pat.

      When we look at the fall of previous civilizations, environmental
      changes seem to be much more important factors than internal decay or
      external threats. Of course environmental changes engender mass
      movements of populations, as they head for "better" locales, and in
      turn, the massive influx of refugees would tend to stress existing
      civilizations or create the conditions that would lead to war. It
      always amazes me just how a slim difference in temperature, rainfall
      or sunlight has such a great impact on the growth of traditional
      crops.

      From relatively recent history (1884, "the year with no summer") we
      might look at how the ejection of material and energy from a volcanic
      explosion caused 120 foot high tsunamis, two full days of darkness, a
      drop in temperature for more than a year, and widespread starvation
      and misery throughout the world.

      http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Vocano1883Krakatoa.html

      This type of activity, although unusual, is repeated in many histories
      around the world. It is worth noting that the explosion of Thera, in
      the Aegean, and Mt. Vesuvius, in Italy were much more intense than the
      activity at Krakatoa! If the last two thousand years is any guide,
      such events as these happen on a 500 year or lower frequency.

      It is now being proposed (by David Keys, Ken Wohletz and others) that
      a large volcanic event in Indonesia precipitated the fall of the Roman
      Empire and the creation of the so-called "dark ages" in Europe. In the
      light of the past weeks tragic events, where a large earthquake in the
      same area killed more than a hundred thousand and destroyed structures
      in such a wide area, by a mere 20 foot tsunami. these theories might
      well be re-examined.

      http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/history/535ad.htm
      http://www.ees1.lanl.gov/Wohletz/Krakatau.htm

      It is also worthy of note that it is now being said that the warnings
      of tsunami were not given by some governments "in deference to the
      tourism industry". There are other industries with much more intimate
      relationships with governments around the world. Who can you trust?

      Now I don't raise these issues to negate or belittle the effects that
      man has on the environment, but to examine the results of
      geographically remote environmental events on the entire globe. A rise
      or fall of a few degrees, no matter what the cause, can mean the
      difference between success or failure, between comfort and starvation,
      between civilization and barbarism.

      Mike Wood, Cincinnati

      patneuman2000 wrote:

      >Global climate change includes major changes to Earth's water and
      life systems. Global climate change may mean life or death on the
      planet. As such, it encompasses all other issues.

      >Many people are loosing sight of what's important to them, and to
      >their families. Many people have no clue about what's really
      happening to the global climate. People have a responsibility to learn
      what's going on. They should know where to go to for advice. But
      where?

      >Managers of government agencies that have the responsibility to
      inform the public on safety and the environment are failing in their
      duties. There is no doubt that global climate is changing much too
      rapidly to sustain life. There is no doubt that the accumulation of
      greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from fuel burning is driving rapid
      global climate change. The time scale for rapid global climate change
      is now, and in the future.

      >It makes no sense to me that that some people think that they have to
      >travel to Europe, Asia, Australia, even Africa, etc. in order for
      them to have meaninful lives. At what cost?

      >Upward trend in atmospheric CO2 concentrations
      >http://www.cmdl.noaa.gov/ccgg/insitu.html
      >
      >Upward trend in global temperatures
      >http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwmisc~WhatsNew
      >
      >For more information...