Climate Change: Science and Survival

  • patneuman2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In fuelcell-energy@yahoogroups.com, "janson2997" <janson1997@y...>
      wrote:

      Climate Change: Science and Survival

      Address by Tim Yeo MP

      Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment and Transport
      Centre for Policy Studies, 57 Tufton Street, London SW1

      6 pm Tuesday 7th December 2004

      During the past two years, my portfolio has covered Trade and
      Industry; Energy,Science and Technology; Health and Education; the
      Environment and, finally,Transport.

      I suppose I could claim this makes me the most versatile, if not the
      most expert member of the Shadow Cabinet.
      In each area, I have been involved in reshaping our Conservative
      policies, trying to\learn lessons from the 20th century, and starting
      to set out strategies for the 21st and apply our beliefs, ideals and
      philosophy to a world of new pressures and changing goals.

      The duties of government

      Fundamentally, government has only a limited range of duties.
      Defending the borders, policing the streets, providing a framework
      for education and promoting public health are prominent among them.
      Maintaining a high quality environment and overseeing the provision
      of a modern transport system are two more.
      And the impact of the quality of our environment on public health is
      something which is increasingly clear.
      Today, policy-makers must respond to every aspect of the environment.

      As Alfred Zimmern wrote 75 years ago:
      "A civilised man is a man who understands the world in which he is
      living and the forces by which it is moved ? A civilised society is a
      society equipped with the knowledge to control its environment."

      Presentation in full:

      http://www.cps.org.uk/pdf/lec/56.pdf

      (15 pages)

      j2997