FYI - Re: Restoration of landscapes (and other important matters related to climate)

  • npat1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      Discussions on the importance of landscapes, species diversity, water
      vapor, clouds, paleoclimatology, and the oceans are provided below. Pat
      N.

      Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003
      Subject: Restoration of landscapes

      In listening to Minnesota Public Radio this morning, I learned that the
      number of acres of land being changed from agricultural to prairie/oak
      savanna is on the increase. In wet areas, drainage tile are being
      removed to reduce surface runoff, increasing the water storage of the
      watersheds during moderately wet periods. The deeper rooted native
      plants also have the effect of reducing surface runoff during moderately
      wet periods, and of slowing soil erosion.

      It was estimated that currently 3 % of the agricultural land in Minnesota
      has been converted to restored prairie. People that own the restored
      areas are being paid a small amount of money per year to keep the land in
      good condition, requiring occasional removal of exotics/weedy species.
      I don't know how much, if any, good quality agricultural land has been
      affected.

      Here are some other posts/e-mail related to the subject.

      From: Marcie (Minnesota, mn-natpl@...)
      "Thanks to everyone who sent me information about restoring oak
      woodland. I've read most of the web sites, and all the advice. I think
      the most useful idea is to work on getting rid of the exotics, and let
      the
      native seeds and plants have a chance.

      I just read an article in the Wisconsin Prairie Enthusiasts newsletter
      about the "Bradley Method" for controlling exotic plants and encouraging
      the growth of natives. The Bradleys were Australian sisters who
      developed
      a strategy for long-term control of invasive plants, based on carefully
      weeding out exotics, and giving natives a chance to recolonize. Here's a

      place to read about it: http://www.edgehill.net/bradley.htm. It sounds
      like a good method for situations like mine, where there are large areas
      work on, and many less disturbed areas with good native plant
      populations."
      Marcie (Minnesota, mn-natpl@...)

      From Salvador (Mexico, Climate Concern Group (CCG) yahoo egroup
      discussion list.

      " We need understanding of Nature. The problem is OUR way of use, not
      ecology. It is we that are wrong in trying to use economy over ecology.
      It
      is time to see the other way. Adjust economy to natural possibilities.
      The
      Earth is limited. So should be economy. Since populations is already
      huge,
      we should be planning how to reduce population in a harmless way, and
      make
      efficient uses of Nature. Of course, forests will never be back to
      original conditions, but at least should be restored to a LONG TERM way
      of
      uses, which would be the more sustainable way..
      Some of the ideas from Ed and others lack consistency, because they are
      mixing the "engineering" view with some vague conservation ideas, but in
      the inefficient direction. The rules of ecology are Natural, while ours
      (economics, legal) are artificial and conventional; hence, if we can not
      change the rules of Nature (only use them), change the human rules. Use
      the
      best without putting resources to extinction."
      Cheers
      Salvador - (Mexico, CCG)

      From: EDER (Amazon South America, CCG)
      Dear listers,
      indeed this is going deeper and deeper, and as much as
      I look at it, the more I think the direction we are
      taking is the right one.
      Off course there are many places within the forests
      that have to be preserved as they are, not for
      ecological reasons i might say, but for spiritual
      ones, this happened on the past and must be preserved
      on the future, in this particular, forest sites can be
      compared with churches in the middle of the cities.
      But, once again, to preserve as much biodiversity as
      we can and to provide the "NECESSARY" economical
      viability of the native forest, we have to organize it.
      This is the idea behind the project we are working
      with in the Amazon, we search for already destroyed
      forests, planted with coffee or whatever, and we plant
      native tree species, we look for breeding and seed
      selection and we drive the management plan into a
      landscape scenario, by doing so we intend to put all
      biodiversity in modules, producing, instead of a
      confusing mixture of trees, a mosaic of timber and
      non-timber producing forest.
      Forest Greetings
      EDER (Amazon S. America, CCG)

      From: Nick (US, CCG)
> [...]
      > mouse niche," and
      > will be gone in hours, recycled into the web of
      > life. That same mouse
      > put outside a suburban house or even dropped in an
      > artificial monocrop
      > "forest" (as a eucalyptus standin California or a
      > pine "tree farm" in
      > the East) will lie stinking for weeks or
      > months until someone in despair of its ever being
      > naturally recycled,
      > puts it in the trash to go to the landfill, thus
      > illustrating the
      > countless devices for efficiency the forest has
      > developed.
      > Can we ever create anything so efficient and
      > internally stable? Very
      > unlikely, especially if we destroy it before we
      > understand it. And we
      > absolutely cannot create a forest with a DNA "oral
      > history" that assures
      > it will have the know-how to cope with situations no
      > human was around to
      > see.
      > I have tried to get an answer to a "simple"
      > qualitative question about
      > the watershed in which I live - whether if we
      > encourage the present
      > natural trend of Douglas fir to replace the
      > mixed-oak woodland and
      > chaparral in the watershed, that will increase or
      > decrease summer
      > streamflow. This is important because Steelhead
      > spawn along the creeks
      > but their fingerlings are almost all lost as the
      > creeks dry up in the
      > summer. NO ONE can answer that simple question, and
      > because we are
      > Caucasian interlopers, we lack the historical data to
      > help. And Lance, as you know, has been asking
      > whether clearcutting in
      > the Northwest can be proven to cause downwind
      > drought, and the answers
      > are less than definitive.. If we cannot answer such
      > simple questions,
      > how can we stably manage forests over decades, let
      > alone over
      > geologically significant times?
      > If we create a forest, it may be able "efficiently"
      > to temporarily serve
      > a narrow and transient human need (e.g. latex or
      > paper pulp), but it
      > will not be a forest. It will not be efficient, it
      > will not be stable,
      > and more than likely, like our monocrop agricultural
      > structures, will
      > self-destruct within decades unless "managed" with
      > the input of immense
      > quantities of labor, toxic materials, and energy.
      > When it is said that
      > we can create a forest that is more efficient even
      > for our narrow needs
      > than a true forest, we have to take
      > those inputs into account, inputs which will be at
      > best prohibitively
      > expensive and at worst impossible to provide, with
      > the end of the
      > fossil-fuel era.
      > It is time that we understand our ignorance, lest

      My Jan 14 post to ClimateChangeDebate (CCD)

      Water vapor is invisible to the naked ice, clouds and rain are water
      droplets. Warming and more humidity in the middle & upper levels of
      the troposphere would mean less atmospheric instability when that warming
      is greater than the warming near the surface...thus less cloudiness.
      The height of the tropopause is increasing, which signals that the entire
      tropopause is heating up. Warm & humid weather may not indicate
      increased rainfall...as was the situation for the Upper Midwest during
      the 1987-1988 mini drought. Brief intense rainfall is possible when the
      atmosphere becomes temporarily unstable (cold air above very warm air).
      Heavy rain is impossible when inversions are present.

      As water vapor (the most potent greenhouse gas (GHG) increases, GHG
      warming increases.

      Pat

      Jan 15
      Low stratus clouds reduce heat escape during the short daylight periods
      in winter, especially in high latitudes. High clouds let much of the
      solar radiation in during the longer days in summer when the sun is more
      intense for longer periods of time, especially in high latitudes.
      Cloudy-stormy weather is often in the darker hours in summer, following
      high intensity heating with mostly sunny days. The discussion provided
      above explains, at least partly, the fact that the northern hemisphere
      higher latitudes land areas are warming more rapidly than the lower
      latitude land areas.

      Pat

      Feb 8 my post to CCG
      > the role played by water vapor.
      I have some comments to give on this topic.

      Public comments on the Administration's Strategic Plan for the Climate
      Change Science Program Draft: Chapter 2:

      1. "Regarding the statement that was made in the draft as follows:"
      "radiative balance and cloud structure
      from increased upper tropospheric water
      vapor is potentially quite large and could
      be positive or negative."

      " This statement is incorrect. The feedback from increased tropospheric
      water vapor is invariably positive."
      RAYMOND PIERREHUMBERT, THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

      2. "This is a misleading statement at best, especially if the intent is
      to divert attention from CO2 as the main driver of anthropogenic climate
      change. Unlike CO2, water has a short atmospheric lifetime, can coexist
      in three phases, and has a highly variable atmospheric distribution.
      While water vapor provides baseline greenhouse heating, CO2 and other
      GHGs supply the perturbation driving climate change."
      DAVID L. WAGGER, PH.D., SELF

      3. "There is really very little basis for thinking that the upper
      troposphere water feedback process could be negative, despite what Litzen
      suggests. Were it negative, it would be very hard to have had an ice age
      (as it would have induced a warming influence to prevent it), we never
      could have had an ice ball Earth (as there would be to much water aloft),
      we could never have had Cretaceous warmth as the cooling effect would
      have countered that, plus the amount of water vapor in the upper
      troposphere increase from pole to equator (so from cold to warm
      conditions). The IPCC has reviewed studies of this and there is just very
      little reason to indicate it is possible, and it may well create
      important inconsistencies with past climates. Phrasing this as if there
      is an equal chance or positive versus negative is irresponsible.
      MICHAEL MACCRAKEN, LLNL (RETIRED)

      I think that there is a high level of certainty that: "While water
      vapor provides baseline greenhouse heating, CO2 and other GHGs supply the
      perturbation driving climate change." (DAVID L. WAGGER, PH.D., SELF)
      http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/stratplan2003/toc.htm

      The ocean on Earth are large, indeed.
      However, one must consider the differences between the present and the
      past in the prediction of the future.

      1) Billions of people exist on Earth now, that did not exist on Earth
      in the past, but many will be here in the future... continuing to
      produce enormous quantities of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.

      2) The present power of the sun is greater now than existed in archaic
      times...and will continue to be greater in power than the past, into the
      future.

      3) The post Paleocene (from 55 million years ago (Ma) to present) was a
      period of reduced volcanism and tectonic activity (Earth movements -
      including Basalt Flows) - in comparison to the period from the Permian
      (290 Ma) to the Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) that occurred 55
      Mya. The long period of reduced activity from the PETM to present
      allowed GHGs to settle out of the atmosphere, which led to the colder
      climates of the Pleistocene and Holocene.

      Even though the GHG warm climate episodes eventually cooled the past
      (there were no human GHG emissions from billions of people, the sun is
      believed to have been less powerful then versus now), tremendous species
      extinctions resulted from the rapid temperature increases during those
      times.

      Due to the Earth's large oceans, the positive feedback mechanism of water
      vapor may operate only when GHG concentrations are reinforced from time
      to time, as happened from the Permian to end of the Paleocene and
      beginning of the Eocene (at the PETM of 55 Ma).

      Perhaps a continuation of GHG emissions from volcanic/tectonic activity
      during and subsequent to the PETM would have continued the rapidly
      warming climate to an even higher degree. Perhaps a slightly more
      powerful sun during that period would have continued the warming beyond
      the threshold level for life.

      Human activity is said to be responsible for emitting GHGs at a rate
      comparable to the rate of GHG emissions that led to the PETM. It is
      unlikely that there will be a large reduction in GHG emission for many
      centuries to come, if human behavior does not change. The sun is
      probably more powerful now than it was during the Paleocene. As rapid
      world climate warming continues, with the positive water vapor feedbacks
      in force, it is unlikely that GHG emissions from the total produced by
      volcanism/tectonic activity and human activity will abate, as they had
      in the past. It is unlikely that the sun will become weaker.

      Therefore it is possible that this episode of rapid warming will reach a
      higher level than the PETM, and cause even greater extinctions than
      happened in Earth's past.. unless human's have successful in reducing GHG
      emissions and in other yet unknown ways of fighting this otherwise
      certain calamity for Earth.

      From the book called: The Oceans by Ellen J. Prager with Sylvia A.
      Earle, McGraw-Hill books, Copyright 2000, page 23, Chapter: called:

      The Paleozoic Era (approx. 250-550 Ma)

      "Rocks and fossils suggest that ocean temperatures
      range from 20 to 40 degrees C (68 to 104 degrees F),
      its chemistry and salt content are fairly similar to the
      modern sea, " ... (Prager E.J., 2000)

      Pat Neuman
      Chanhassen, MN

      Only $9.95 per month!