What the evidence shows on Global Warming

  • patneuman2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
      Thousands Gather for U.N. Conference on Global Warming
      BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Dec 6, 2004 AP

      Excerpt
      -------
      "Last month, the intergovernmental Arctic Council announced findings
      that higher temperatures in the Arctic are melting sea ice, buckling
      roads and threatening polar bears and other animals.

      In Argentina, a 220-foot (66-meter) wall of ice sheared off the giant
      Perito Moreno glacier last March in a rare spectacle some have
      attributed to global warming.

      However, disagreements abound in the scientific community over global
      climate change.

      John Christy, a climatologist at the University of Alabama in
      Huntsville, says the Earth's temperature has fluctuated considerably
      over long periods of time.

      "The evidence shows that the world is warming, but is not warming at a
      rate that is catastrophic," Christy said.

      My conclusions
      --------------
      The statement that "Disagreements abound in the scientific community
      over global climate change" is false. The majority of scientists are
      in agreement that a rapid rate of global warming is being driven by
      the accumulation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from fossil
      fuels used for power and transportation.

      The statement by John Cristy is false. Scientists have shown an
      enormous amount of evidence that earth's climate is warming at a
      catastrophic rate. Sea ice, glaciers, permafrost, oceans, global-
      atmospheric, and my own regional studies of Upper Midwest climate
      data are powerful evidence that catastrophic global warming is
      occurring.

      My regional studies of Upper Midwest climate data are:
      - 1. Minnesota Temperatures & Dewpoints (Apr 2003)
      - 2. Snowmelt & Dewpoints in MN, WI, and ND (Sep 2003)
      http://www.mnforsustain.org/climate_change.htm

      Pat Neuman
      Hydrologist (self only)
    • patneuman2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2004
        Gregson Vaux wrote:
        > At this stage of the game, anthropogenic global warming
        > is really more of a fad than a proven fact. When you look
        > at the evidence, it is pretty weak.

        Gregson,

        Please review the evidence that was presented by the All-star panel
        of climate experts in Washington DC on 15 June 2004 (below).

        Then tell us what you think about global warming.

        AAAS All-star panel of climate experts, 15 June 2004
        http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2004/0616climate.shtml

        Excerpt:
        The scientists at Tuesday's climate conference acknowledged that
        questions remain about climate-forecasting models. And, they said,
        there will always be uncertainty about exactly what may happen and
        precisely how various factors exert an influence. However, the
        panelists also agreed that accurate predictions can be made over the
        long term--and that greenhouse gases released as a result of human
        activity are a major change agent. In fact, they said, the models are
        more likely making conservative predictions rather than generous ones.

        -----------------
        Presentations at:
        http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2004/0603climate2.shtml

        Don Kennedy, Science and Alan Leshner, CEO AAAS
        Sherwood Rowland, University of California, Irvine
        Thomas Crowley, Duke University
        Richard Alley, Pennsylvania State University
        Daniel Schrag, Harvard University
        Jerry Meehl, National Center for Atmospheric Research
        David Battisti, University of Washington
        Joyce Penner, University of Michigan
        Michael Oppenheimer, Princeton University
        Lonnie Thompson, Ohio State University
        Chris Field, Carnegie Institution of Washington