Towards a Renewable and Sustainable Energy Future / Canadian

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      --------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "janson2997" <janson1997@...>
      To: fuelcell-energy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:01:57 -0000
      Subject: [fuelcell-energy] Towards a Renewable and Sustainable Energy
      Future

      Towards a Renewable and Sustainable Energy Future :Renewable Energies
      Working Together

      8.2.04 Pierre Fortin, Executive Director, Canadian Hydropower
      Association (CHA)
      Rob McMonagle, Executive Director, Canadian Solar Industries
      Association (CanSIA)
      Robert Hornung, President, Canadian Wind Energy Association

      How can the world meet its 21st century energy needs while protecting
      the environment? This is the task before us, and only with affordable
      and environmentally sound energy can we maintain our quality of life
      and develop our economies.
      This can be achieved with the implementation of energy efficiency and
      conservation measures, and also the sustainable development of clean
      and renewable energy sources such as solar power, wind energy, and
      hydropower.

      But to achieve the transition from a largely fossil-fuel based world
      energy mix to a more sustainable and renewable energy scenario, we
      must have a comprehensive long-term renewable energy strategy. Such a
      strategy would take into account economic, social and environmental
      aspects, would look at energy needs and available potential at
      national and regional levels, and would build on the potential
      synergies of different energy sources.

      For example, a comprehensive energy strategy would consider the
      following. As the production of electricity from intermittent sources
      of green power increases, the need for complementary energy storage
      systems will also increase. This we know. We also know that in
      countries like Germany and Denmark, wind power is complemented
      primarily by baseload production of fossil-fuel generated
      electricity. Given the environmental degradation caused by the
      burning of fossil fuels, we neither want nor need this solution for
      Canada. Because hydropower is low emitting, clean, and renewable, as
      well as uniquely flexible, it is the best source to support the
      development of renewables such as wind and solar.

      With renewable energies working together, what might a sustainable
      energy future look like? In Canada today, hydropower supplies close
      to 60 percent of current electricity production, and wind and solar
      less than 1 percent -- but the potential for development is enormous.
      We estimate the technical potential of wind power to be approximately
      50,000 MW, solar power 70,000 MW, and hydropower 118,000 MW. I think
      we need to rethink these potential numbers. Wind has much more than
      50,000 MW of potential�..we say 50,000 because the much larger number
      has not been quantified and 50,000 represents about 20% of
      electricity supply � a level we feel an intermittent source can
      easily meet without imposing huge costs on the system. I would
      suggest that solar, as another intermittent source, needs to consider
      a similar constraint.

      A Renewable Energy Strategy

      Sustainable development, whether local or global, demands an increase
      in the use of all renewable energies. While it is important to set
      targets for the development of renewables such as wind and solar, it
      is equally important to recognize that hydropower, be it large or
      small, run-of-river or storage, is a renewable energy source. .

      Canada needs to develop a formal comprehensive strategy for the
      future development of all renewables, addressing their needs and
      including appropriate incentives for each renewable source of energy.

      For example, some renewable energy technologies require additional
      investment for more research and development before they can be
      commercialized. Others have been on the market for decades but are
      currently facing difficulties at remaining competitive due to the
      rising cost of environmental impact assessment requirements and very
      high capital costs.

      A national renewable energy strategy would require all energy
      technologies to be evaluated on a life-cycle basis, for a better
      accounting of their positive and negative environmental aspects. This
      national strategy would also build on the synergies of renewables by
      including in assessments an analysis of the complementary nature of
      renewables. Moreover, affordability would be redefined: the hidden
      health, environmental and social costs of fossil-fuel based energy
      should be reflected in the market price.

      New assessment criteria, new energy technologies, new synergies, new
      environmental issues, all of this calls for a central coordinating
      mechanism within government devoted to the development and deployment
      of renewable electricity sources. Such a mechanism can ensure that
      all renewable energy sources receive appropriate federal government
      support and incentives to pursue healthy development.

      The development of renewable energies would not only reduce our
      dependence on fossil fuels, leading to fewer greenhouse gas
      emissions, making for cleaner air, and energy price stability, but it
      would also generate new jobs in a wide range of sectors such as
      research, manufacturing, and installation. In this way, Canada could
      continue its tradition of being a world leader in energy expertise.
      To reach this future, renewable energies, with good governance, must
      continue working together. So we will.

      http://www.energypulse.net/centers/article/article_print.cfm?a_id=792

      j2997

      Yahoo! Groups Links