Vegetation Changes as Temperature Rise

  • npat1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2003
      "Wisconsin has about 2,600 species of flowering plants, conifers, ferns,
      and fern relatives in the wild. Nearly 1900 of
      these species are native and were here before European settlement; about
      700 species are alien. Many of the aliens
      are weedy species, and they spread between the mid-19th and mid-20th
      centuries, aided by agriculture, logging, road
      building, other activities accompanying settlement and development,
      changing the botanical composition on farmland and in urban areas. Now
      we are seeing another wave of change, probably resulting from warming of
      the climate."
      (snip) ...
      "These extensive botanical records for Wisconsin leave little room for
      doubt that our vegetation is changing as our
      climate becomes warmer. Some people may welcome longer growing seasons,
      milder winters, and the chance to grow plants that were not considered
      hardy here. But the price of global warming will likely be the loss of
      native species, especially the cool-season plants, and great increases in
      weedy aliens."

      Author: Robert W. Freckmann, professor of emeritus of biology at the U
      of W Stevens Point where he taught plant identification for 33 years.

      From an article reprinted from the Stevens Point Journal (Wisconsin,
      2002)... in the Jan / Feb 2003 issue of "Wild Ones", a hands dirty
      grass roots group for native plants & natural landscapes in the U.S.
      www.for-wild.org

      Pat Neuman
      Chanhassen, Minnesota

      Only $9.95 per month!