Re: Gross intellectual dishonesty

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2004
      The article that follows indicates the Marshall Institute has had a major
      role influencing
      U.S. climate science policy.

      Taking On Global Climate Change
      Planned Study Is Decried as Stalling
      By Guy Gugliotta
      Washington Post Staff Writer
      Thursday, July 24, 2003; Page A06

      The Bush administration will announce today final details of a 10-year
      plan to study global climate change to determine whether greenhouse gases
      and other human-generated pollutants have contributed to an unnatural
      warming of Earth's atmosphere.

      "We want to take a very careful acknowledgement of everything we know and
      don't know and try to drive the science forward," Assistant Commerce
      Secretary James R. Mahoney, director of the administration's U.S. Climate
      Change Science Program, said yesterday. "And we want to do it with as
      much transparency as possible, because this is a highly controversial
      area."

      Environmental groups criticized the plan as a deliberate attempt to
      stallaction on global warming by revisiting scientific questions that
      were long ago "asked and answered," said Daniel A. Lashof, science
      director for the Climate Center of the Natural Resources Defense
      Council.

      Philip E. Clapp, president of the National Environmental Trust, said,
      "Most climate scientists around the world will see this as fiddling while
      Rome burns. More research is always welcome, but the goal here is just to
      delay doing anything about the problem."

      The plan is contained in a 330-page report to be released today by
      Commerce Secretary Donald L. Evans and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.
      An executive summary and other amplifying documents were made public
      yesterday.

      The new initiatives marked the latest effort by President Bush to take
      the high ground in the climate change debate. Environmentalists roundly
      criticized him less than three months after taking office in 2001, when
      he dismissed the Kyoto agreement on global warming, saying it exempted
      developing countries and would harm the U.S. economy.

      Bush's critics say the preponderance of scientific opinion holds that
      emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping industrial and
      tailpipe gases are responsible for a trend that has the potential to
      alter global climate in profound and perhaps catastrophic ways.

      "The political piece with this latest effort is to make people feel
      better about the science," Lashof said. "But the administration will try
      to suppress information that its friends in the coal and oil industry
      don't like."

      Administration supporters, however, say that although global warming may
      be a reality, the reasons for it remain unproven: "A lot of what people
      say about this is professional judgment and hypothesis," said William
      O'Keefe, president of the George C. Marshall Institute. "We just don't
      have the empirical data."

      The research plan is intended to fix that, Mahoney said. The Climate
      Change Science Program brings together expertise from 13 federal agencies
      that are spending $4.5 billion per year on programs that touch on climate
      change, he said, and the plan will reprogram $103 million to deploy new
      satellite-based global observation technologies.

      The plan outlines five "overarching scientific goals." They include
      improving knowledge of Earth's climate and "reducing uncertainty in
      projections of how the Earth's climate and related systems may change in
      the future." And although the plan is designed for 10 years, it also
      outlines 21 priorities to be completed by 2007, focusing on measuring
      emissions and making predictions based on the estimates.

      "We don't recommend decisions," Mahoney said. "We're completely neutral
      about that, but we want to have as much useful information out there as
      possible when the bell rings and somebody wants to use it."

      � 2003 The Washington Post Company

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A3747
      8-2003Jul23¬Found=true