Re: Gross intellectual dishonesty

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2004
      The excerpt below, from "Remarks by William O'Keefe, President of the
      Marshall Institute, At the EPA Science Forum 2004", exhibits gross
      intellectual dishonesty.

      Excerpt from "Remarks by William O'Keefe"...

      "Over the next few decades, most scientists believe that modest increases
      in temperature will produce net benefits for the U.S. As a nation, we are
      taking a variety of actions that will keep us on the path of continued
      reductions in carbon intensity and increased energy efficiency".

      Page 2 of 4: "The Challenge of Making Climate Science Policy Relevant
      ..." at Marshall Institute home page (pdf).

      The Marshall Institute has had a major role influencing U.S. climate
      science policy since year 2000.

      Pat N

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2004
        The article that follows indicates the Marshall Institute has had a major
        role influencing
        U.S. climate science policy.

        Taking On Global Climate Change
        Planned Study Is Decried as Stalling
        By Guy Gugliotta
        Washington Post Staff Writer
        Thursday, July 24, 2003; Page A06

        The Bush administration will announce today final details of a 10-year
        plan to study global climate change to determine whether greenhouse gases
        and other human-generated pollutants have contributed to an unnatural
        warming of Earth's atmosphere.

        "We want to take a very careful acknowledgement of everything we know and
        don't know and try to drive the science forward," Assistant Commerce
        Secretary James R. Mahoney, director of the administration's U.S. Climate
        Change Science Program, said yesterday. "And we want to do it with as
        much transparency as possible, because this is a highly controversial
        area."

        Environmental groups criticized the plan as a deliberate attempt to
        stallaction on global warming by revisiting scientific questions that
        were long ago "asked and answered," said Daniel A. Lashof, science
        director for the Climate Center of the Natural Resources Defense
        Council.

        Philip E. Clapp, president of the National Environmental Trust, said,
        "Most climate scientists around the world will see this as fiddling while
        Rome burns. More research is always welcome, but the goal here is just to
        delay doing anything about the problem."

        The plan is contained in a 330-page report to be released today by
        Commerce Secretary Donald L. Evans and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.
        An executive summary and other amplifying documents were made public
        yesterday.

        The new initiatives marked the latest effort by President Bush to take
        the high ground in the climate change debate. Environmentalists roundly
        criticized him less than three months after taking office in 2001, when
        he dismissed the Kyoto agreement on global warming, saying it exempted
        developing countries and would harm the U.S. economy.

        Bush's critics say the preponderance of scientific opinion holds that
        emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping industrial and
        tailpipe gases are responsible for a trend that has the potential to
        alter global climate in profound and perhaps catastrophic ways.

        "The political piece with this latest effort is to make people feel
        better about the science," Lashof said. "But the administration will try
        to suppress information that its friends in the coal and oil industry
        don't like."

        Administration supporters, however, say that although global warming may
        be a reality, the reasons for it remain unproven: "A lot of what people
        say about this is professional judgment and hypothesis," said William
        O'Keefe, president of the George C. Marshall Institute. "We just don't
        have the empirical data."

        The research plan is intended to fix that, Mahoney said. The Climate
        Change Science Program brings together expertise from 13 federal agencies
        that are spending $4.5 billion per year on programs that touch on climate
        change, he said, and the plan will reprogram $103 million to deploy new
        satellite-based global observation technologies.

        The plan outlines five "overarching scientific goals." They include
        improving knowledge of Earth's climate and "reducing uncertainty in
        projections of how the Earth's climate and related systems may change in
        the future." And although the plan is designed for 10 years, it also
        outlines 21 priorities to be completed by 2007, focusing on measuring
        emissions and making predictions based on the estimates.

        "We don't recommend decisions," Mahoney said. "We're completely neutral
        about that, but we want to have as much useful information out there as
        possible when the bell rings and somebody wants to use it."

        � 2003 The Washington Post Company

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A3747
        8-2003Jul23¬Found=true