Dangers of Aviation: specialized aviation fuel

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2004
      Dangers of aviation
      Denis Frith
      Melbourne

      Denis has spent over thirty years in research into
      aircraft gas turbine engines

      Dangers of aviation

      Because of basic characteristics, hydrogen is not
      a good aviation fuel substitute. It is possible that
      a suitable aviation fuel will be extracted from coal
      to partially substitute. However, in my opinion, the
      airline industry has already passed its peak so
      the transition to better ground transportation,
      proposed in the post below, is very likely to be given
      a powerful boost by the fuel problem.

      There have been a number of other studies, including
      in the US, that have pointed out the harm done by
      emissions from airliners. The post below suggests
      some sound measures to reduce the impact of airline
      travel on climate change. Surprisingly then, no mention
      is made of the fact that the supply of oil is starting to
      fall short of demand and this is certain (I use that term
      only after careful consideration) to have a tremendous
      impact on the cost and availability of the very specialized
      aviation fuel. The gas turbine engines in airliners are
      very highly developed machines critically dependent
      on the characteristics of the fuel they use. The engines
      in the current fleet have been under development for
      over forty years at the cost of a tremendous array of
      irreplaceable resources as well as much human
      ingenuity and the technological advances. Because of