AUS: Scientists ring alarm on climate

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2004
      --------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "janson2997" <janson1997@...>
      To: fuelcell-energy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:05:28 -0000
      Subject: [fuelcell-energy] AUS: Scientists ring alarm on climate

      Scientists ring alarm on climate
      By Stephanie Peatling, Environment Reporter
      July 6, 2004

      Page Tools
      Email to a friend Printer format
      Immediate action must be taken to stop the effects of climate change,
      starting with a timetable for a 60 per cent fall in greenhouse gas
      emissions by 2050, says a coalition of scientists.

      The Climate Action Group, launched last night, is based on the
      Wentworth Group of scientists and economists, which lobbies for
      changes to land and water management. The climate group is backed by
      the insurance company the Insurance Australia Group.

      "There are moments in time when global threats arise and when action
      is imperative," the nine-member group writes in its first report,
      Climate Change - Solutions for Australia.

      "We know that our world's temperature is now rising unusually fast.
      Climate change has the potential to threaten millions of lives, the
      capacity of the world to feed itself, the availability of fresh
      water, the control and spread of disease, the survival of species,
      the direction in which our oceans flow and the severity of our
      weather."

      Members include the chief risk officer and group actuary for
      Insurance Australia Group, Tony Coleman; the former CSIRO chief
      scientist of atmospheric research, Dr Graeme Pearman; the chief
      executive officer of the Co-operative Research Centre for Greenhouse
      Accounting, Dr Chris Mitchell; and the director of the National
      Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health at Australian National
      University, Professor Tony McMichael.

      "We want to let people know it's happening here and now and there's
      a lot they can do like putting in energy efficient lighting, solar
      hot water systems and buying efficient motor vehicles," Mr Coleman
      said.

      A report last month by the Australia Institute found Australia had
      the highest per capita greenhouse gas emissions of any industrialised
      country.

      Dr Pearman said some serious effects of climate change could be
      avoided if Australia was prepared to make difficult decisions about
      the future .

      The group called for emissions trading by 2007, more efficient energy
      use by householders, and immediate work on minimising the effects of
      climate change.

      http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/05/1089000090743.html#

      j3997
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fuelcell-energy/