Interview with Cleo Odzer Part Seven: LEAVING GOA

  • curtisdesign
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2008
      Interview with Cleo Odzer
      January 2000, Goa, India
      By Marcus Robbin

      COPYRIGHT NOTICE
      Copyright: Marcus Robbin (©2000-2008)
      This material is for private use only. Any commercial use strictly prohibited.
      All rights of Marcus Robbin are reserved. Used by permission of the author.

      * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Part Seven
      LEAVING GOA

      Cleo: By the time I got out of Tihar, it was time for the Season to begin in Goa. So I came
      back, and I was still working with Sam, and he was giving me the drugs and I was selling
      them, but the drugs were working on me. I was lazy, and I just could not keep it together,
      and... [weeps] I knew I had to leave, I knew I had to leave Goa. I couldn't keep it... I was
      going to lose my house... I had to leave. I knew it early, I don't know when I said it, I said,
      "I'm leaving." I picked a date, I think it was March 25th, it could be any day. I said [weeps],
      "I'm leaving India for good." I only told one person, but I knew I was leaving forever. It
      just broke my heart, because I thought I had found... my life. I thought I found
      everything... I thought I had found paradise. I thought my life was complete. I had
      everything I wanted, and I had to leave it. There were about four or five months that I
      knew that this was my last year… "This is my last Season." And every night it just
      happened. I would go to Gregory's restaurant, which was behind the rice paddy. And it
      would just happen that when I was coming home, it was about sunset, and I would have
      my dog. And today there is a paved road, but at that time it was only a dirt road, there
      was nothing on it... never, no traffic, there was nobody on it, no motorcycles, nothing, only
      me, and my dog. And I would walk down the road, and I'd think... [cries]…

      Interviewer: How did you spend the last day? Do you remember the last day, Cleo?

      Cleo: Yeah. It was towards the end. The last... the last month... the last few months . . the
      last weeks, it was the end and I'd be coming home and I'd see the sunset from the road,
      and I'd stop in the middle of the road, with my dog, and I'd sit on the ground, and I'd hold
      my dog. And I knew I'd have to leave my dog, because I knew I didn't have the money to
      take her back to New York. So I had to leave my dog, I had to leave Goa, I had to leave my
      house, I had to leave my dream, I had to leave everything. And I would just sit on the road
      in the dirt, and look at the sunset, and it was so beautiful... and I just... it was such a loss;
      it was such a loss. And that went on for a few months, a few weeks, `cause I knew it was
      coming. And then it just got worse and worse. I ran out of money. I couldn't feed the dog.
      The insects took over the house; there were bugs everywhere. Lice, I couldn't afford a flea
      collar, so there were lice everywhere, and they jumped all over. (laughs) Bugs, ants,
      cockroaches. If you live in India you really have to control the bugs. But I had the date, and
      I was waiting for that date to come. And it came (weeps) and I left my dog. And I left, and
      that was the end. I thought it was the end of my life.

      [Break]

      Interviewer: The end of Goa?

      Cleo: The drugs... the drugs ate up our culture, our ideals... the ideals were never to steal
      from one another, never, and the drugs, the drugs made us go against that. We started to
      steal from each other. I didn't, I didn't, but... I say "we" because... maybe I would, maybe I
      would have – we were, we are a "we." So um, it just, it tore down our values, the drugs tore
      down our values, against being enemies of each other, against telling policemen how to
      arrest somebody, this, this was a very bad... you know, you don't do that... you go to jail
      rather than tell on somebody else and let them go to jail, but this... this value? We threw it
      away. So a lot of people were going to jail because some people informed on them. And
      some people got ripped off. They were supposed to get money, and they didn't get
      money. And some people went nuts over the drugs, some people died of overdoses... not
      overdoses, because our drugs weren't... I mean, we weren't injecting, and you can't really
      overdose when you're smoking it, but you go crazy! You don't eat, you don't sleep... you
      go what I call "Coke-Amuck"... All you want is coke, coke, coke. No food, no sleep, just
      coke. So in this way, they died. And a lot of people made mistakes because, with the
      heroin you get lazy. "Uh, I should check on this, but no, I'm too lazy to check on this." So
      they go to jail, they ended up in jail. So... ultimately, our society died.