javascript find/delete

  • andrew_d_kendrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2009
      i've just started working with clearsilver and have very little
      experience programming. i'm trying to make a clearsilver template
      that searches an HTML document "page.document.content", finds a table
      and deletes it each time someone looks at the page. (there may be a
      better way to do this, i.e. without tables)

      i've added an HTML table at the bottom of our documents that users
      add/delete certain information so that i can filter the documents
      based on what was added or deleted in the table. i don't want this
      information visible to people looking at the document, but i want it
      to exist on the backend so i can filter/search it.

      The only thing i've been able to make work is the following .cs
      template:

      backchop.cs
      <?cs set:backchop = string.slice(page.document.content, 0, -515) ?>
      <?cs var:backchop ?>

      The problem is that when people add/delete the wrong amount of data,
      backchop deletes more than just the table and screws up the HTML.

      Thanks - andy
    • David Jeske
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2009
        The task you've descibed is not one which I would typically do with
        clearsilver. While some manipulation of data is possible in clearsilver, it is
        not intended to be a full programming langauge such as PHP. Clearsilver is
        designed to be used with a programming language such as Python, C, or Java. If
        your goal is to load an HTML document, remove some of the contents of the
        document, and send it otherwise intact, I would use Python instead.

        However, I think there is more help I could provide if you explain more about
        your application.

        For example, I don't typically store data as an HTML document. Instead I would
        store it as a set of fields, perhaps in a database, or in HDF files. I would
        make a clearsilver template with the navigational HTML, into which these fields
        are inserted to construct a fully valid document. This puts the format of the
        website (such as navigational links, header, and footer) in a handful of
        templates, instead of every stored document.

        An explanation of the goals of your application and answers to the following
        questions can help me give you some more suggestions:

        1) why are your stored files 'html documents'?
        2) where are the documents stored? (in the filesystem? in a database?)
        3) why are you storing data as a html-table within the document? What code is
        editing this html-table? Have you considered storing the file in a format other
        than html?
        4) how many 'documents' are there?
        5) how do users normally edit the 'html table' at the bottom of the document?