current burial numbers. CF mill closure in the 1880s

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      Cynthia,

      For the news release: I have 74 entries on my proved burials list -
      these are from primary source material or accounts of first-hand
      knowledge. We have a total of 131 entries on the list that includes
      those believed or speculated to be in the cemetery, but not yet
      proved. We have added 55 of these within the last year - 41 of these
      are proved burials.

      By the way, I also just found this:

      "The Columbus Cotton Factory for Sale.

      "Columbus, April 24.—At a meeting of the bondholders of the Columbus
      factory to-day it was determined to sell the mill at public outcry on
      the first Tuesday in August. The mill is situated three miles north
      of the city and has not been operated for eighteen months."

      [Macon (GA) Telegraph newspaper, 25 APR 1886, p. 6.]

      This is the only reference from the period I've been able to find
      about the final closure of Clapp's Factory. I take from this that
      operations ceased in or about October 1884. The default on interest
      payments to bondholders happened in September 1884. George M. CLAPP,
      in his address "Tales of the Chatahoochee," said the factory closed
      in 1884; the 1901 article "Deserted VIllage" in the Altanta newspaper
      said the mill closed in 1887, which is after the sale of the Clapp's
      Factory property at auction to the investors who became the
      Chattahoochee Falls Company.

      John
    • retrofit@flash.net
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        The following is my record of refuse that we have removed from or discovered in the cemetery area. Can anyone remember anything I've left off?...

        Refrigerator; washing machine; stove; at least 15 television sets; bed frame; several sets of bed springs, some disintegrating; car hood; car bumper; several hubcaps, motor oil containers; engine filters; tires; roofing shingles; household tile, contaminated with asbestos; scrap lumber with hardware; brick-and-mortar chunks and scraps; cinder blocks and fragments; cement slag; beer, liquor and soft drink glass and plastic bottles, cans and cups; fast food litter and other food containers; Styrofoam cups and scraps; plastic bags; cigarette lighters, packages and butts; syringes, crack pipes and other illicit items; and clothing and blankets.

        We have discovered evidence of homeless encampment in the cemetery more than once, as well as of camp fires.

        In the large junk pile that was finally taken away in 2006, there were railroad ties, sections of utility poles and other large timbers; steel drums; scrap metal; and household garbage that had been dumped.

        Thanks,

        John