Re: [ClappCemetery] William Luther Cole

  • retrofit@flash.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2008
      Dan,

      It's great to hear from you! And thanks for the items you cited! I'm glad you mentioned the GeneaologyBank.com website - that's where I've been searching, and I've learned a great deal through it, but I don't know if I've plugged it to this group. I also highly recommend it.

      I am working with Kemis and Cynthia on establishing a formal website (with our own domain!) - part of the process will include posting an updated burial list with entries for all of these new graves we're identifying. I continue to be amazed at how many we're finding - but I suppose it stands to reason, since your estimated range of graves from the preliminary survey is between 300 and 500.

      One note about the William Luther COLE burial notice on 24 FEB 1904 - there was a retraction printed on on 28 FEB 1904, stating that he would actually be buried in the Girard Cemetery because the Chattahoochee Fall Company had barred further burials at Clapp's Factory (their inital announcement of this was published on 03 NOV 1903). We do know of at least one burial that took place after this - Britton & Dobbs Funeral Home records indicate that Edgar Alton NIX was buried at CF on 14 APR 1904 - however, I have not found a published death notice for him.

      Please tell Rita I said hello. I will be emailing you privately with some questions - thanks again for pitching in!

      John in TX

      -------------- Original message from "Daniel Thornton Elliott, Esquire" <danelliott@...>: --------------

      Another one from, The Columbus Enquirer-Sun, 4/2/1924:

      "A LITTL BOY DIED FROM BURNS,
      Little William Luther Cole, the 21 months' old son of Mr. and Mrs.
      J.W. Cole, died Monday afternoon at 1 o'clock from the effects of
      burns which he received last Saturday three weeks ago. Everything that
      was possible was done for him, but despite all this he died Monday at
      the hour stated.
      The grief-stricken parents have the deep sympathy of their many
      friends in their bereavement.
      The funeral took place yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the
      house, No. 212 Twenty-sixth street, conducted by Rev. J.G. Harrison,
      the interment being at Clapp's Factory burying ground, above the city."

      My source: GenealogyBank.com

      .