CSA markers for cemetery

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
      All,

      Our researcher in the Atlanta area, Janice Thurmond, has kindly sent
      me copies of service and pension records for several more CSA
      soldiers/veterans who are buried at CF. We are proceeding with the
      applications for government markers for the graves of these men.

      One question we have is which style of marker to use. We are looking
      at the upright marker, which is historically accurate, but it comes
      in either marble (which is starkly white) or granite (which is a
      light gray). Examples of this style of stone may be viewed among the
      application instructions at:

      http://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/40-1330.pdf

      Your computer will need Acrobat Reader to read this pdf file.

      Does anyone have a preference? (I thought the light gray would look
      a little more aged and not stand out so much.) Please post your
      comments - thanks!

      John in TX
    • Anne Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
        John,
        I am so excited about this. I like the lt. gray also for the same reasons you've mentioned.
        If there is a ceremony planned for the unveiling, I'm going to beg everyone I know to care for my aunt so I can attend.
        Since we don't know the exact locations of the grave, will they be placed together in one area?
        Thanks,
        Anne

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
          John,

          Can you please email me your addy..Even thou Michael and I are in Florida now, we would still like to see this cemetery get fixed. We would like to make a donation to help yall out.

          Thanks,
          Laura and Michael

        • Candy Ford
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2008
            Which material is more historically accurate? It probably won't take too
            long for either one to look aged, so I would choose the one that would have
            been used back then.

            Of course, another thing to consider is the life span of the materials --
            which one lasts longer? If we are preserving this for posterity, which one
            will most likely still be around in a few hundred years?

            Candy

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2008
              Linda Kennedy informs me that the white marble is the historically
              accurate choice - however, it seems that most folks who responded favor
              the light gray granite - though more modern, it it is said to be more
              durable, and the style (upright headstone) will still be historically
              accurate.

              In terms of the locations of the markers, we could create a CSA section,
              but I'm more in favor of spreading them out, becuase some of mine have
              spouses and/or other family members buried at CF, and I may want to
              place markers next to them in the future. Also, I suspect the areas
              around the perimeter would be the least likely to already have graves,
              and if we place markers along the boundaries of the current cemetery
              area, this helps define the space.

              Rosebird favors the bluff for her ancestor, and I'm leaning more toward
              the southeastern corner, inside the post-and-cable fence, along the dirt
              road. We have not yet heard from any kin of Alfred P. WATLEY or William
              GUEST.

              John in TX

              Anne Brown wrote:

              > John,
              > I am so excited about this. I like the lt. gray also for the same
              > reasons you've mentioned.
              > If there is a ceremony planned for the unveiling, I'm going to beg
              > everyone I know to care for my aunt so I can attend.
              > Since we don't know the exact locations of the grave, will they be
              > placed together in one area?
              > Thanks,
              > Anne

            • suewatson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2008
                Alfred Watley wouod belong to me --- his daughter Mary was my grandmother. I have not been out there, so I'm not sure where to tell you. Is there a fence all around? If so, then I would probably go toward the northwest part.

                I like the granite as well, as it is more durable.

                Sue

                "And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " ~~ Anais Nin

                On Sun Mar 16 23:39 , John Mallory Land <retrofit@...> sent: