1890 Census Form

  • kemismassey
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2007
      That's the only form the ancestry.com had for census and it
      says "veteran".

      I'm experiencing some "sending" problems with Outlook Express,
      Micosoft Outlook, and Mozilla Thunderbird. My ISP says it's me. I've
      uninstalled and reinstalled my mail programs.

      kemis
    • retrofit@flash.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2007
        Thanks, Kemis!

        The 1890 U.S. census included a survey of Union Vets
        from the Civil War - these schedules survive, which
        is probalby why this form is posted. (A census of
        Confederate Veterans was conducted in 1907.)

        Also, per Anne's recommendation: "The 1890 census was
        the only one (until 1970) to use a 'family schedule'--
        a separate schedule for each family enuerated. On
        the two sides of the schedule there was room to
        enumerate ten family members. If the family was
        larger than that, two schedules were used." - From
        the Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy, by Val
        D. Greenwood, 2nd Edition (1990), p. 214. This
        source includes an image of an 1890 blank form - I'll
        scan that and post it. This form would be great to
        include in our introduction.

        The above explains why, even though a sheet of from
        Columbus survives, it only includes one family. I
        believe the surname was LEWIS, but it has probably
        been fifteen years since I looked at it, so I will
        have to go and get a photocopy of it at the library.

        This may also explain why this census was lost when
        the only copy was burned in Washington D.C. I
        believe other censuses had been kept in ledgers,
        which were then copied and sent to Washington, while
        the originals were kept at the local level. Some
        county courthouses still have their census ledgers
        today.

        Kemis - I followed the links to Ancestry that you
        posted, but the images did not come up. I will try
        on my other computer when I'm in my office and see if
        that makes a difference.

        I suspect we should set up a separate group for the
        project, since it's off-topic from Clapp's Factory.
        That way, anyone who wants to volunteer can join that
        and folks who aren't involved won't have all that
        extra email.

        I have some thoughts on how we should proceed that
        I'll hold on to until we have a separate forum set up.

        Thanks again -

        John