A. P. WATLEY (ca. 1846? - 1902 Columbus), well-digger killed in cave-in

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2007
      "Buried at Clapp's Factory

      "The funeral of Mr. A. P. WATLEY, who met such a tragic death on
      Tuesday by a well caving in on him, took place from his late
      residence on North Highlands yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock,
      conducted by Rev. E. D. PHILLIPS, assisted by Rev. J. W. HOWARD. The
      interment was in the family burying grounds at Clapp's factory."

      [Columbus (GA) Daily Enquirer, Thursday, 08 MAY 1902.]

      J. W. HOWARD and E. D. PHILLIPS evidently were Baptist ministers.

      The following are excerpts from articles that appeared in the Macon
      and Columbus papers on the incident – I haven't retrieved the entire
      text of either of them, but you get the idea:

      "WELL DIGGER KILLED: Sand Caves Upon Him When He Was Thirty-Five Feet
      Underground

      "Columbus, Ga. - May 6–A. P. WATLEY, aged 56 [?] years, a well known
      white well-digger, met a horrible death on North Highlands this
      morning. He was digging a well and when thirty-five feet under
      ground the sand above him caved in, killing him instantly. F[iftee?]
      n feet of dirt fell upon him and it took several hours to recover his
      body. WATLEY was an experienced well-digger. He was warned of his
      danger, as there had already been a slight cave-in, the soil being
      sandy, but he said he had been in lighter places before, and with
      that went to the bottom of the well again and resumed his digging.
      He leaves a wife and seven children."

      [Macon Weekly Telegram newspaper, Wednesday, 07 MAY 1902.]

      "BURIED ALIVE IN DEEP WELL

      "35 Feet under Ground Mr. A. P. WATLEY Met Death

      "…10:30 o'clock, when a well, which he was digging, caved in on him,
      burying him alive. Mr. WATLEY was digging a well just west of Twenty-
      third street and Second avenue, for Dr. C. J. WILLIAMS…___________ in
      that _________________, _____ had gone down about thirty-five feet.
      The lot being on the side of a hill, was very sandy and very likely
      to cave in. In fact, there was a slight cave in a short time before
      the more serious accident occurred. He was warned of this and Mr.
      Benjamin HIGHSMITH, who was helping him, told him to come out of the
      well and __ down to a ___...A few moments later the [sound of?]
      falling dirt was heard, and Mr. HIGHSMITH ran to the well and called
      to WATLEY, but there was no answer. He knew instantly what was the
      matter, so ran and gave the alarm. Very soon after a large crowd had
      gathered around the place and the work of res[cue]…"

      [Columbus (GA) Daily Enquirer newspaper, Wednesday, 07 MAY 1902.]

      I am interested in learning more about Mr. WATLEY's background and
      family connections. Thanks – John in TX
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2007
        Evidently the wife of Mr. A. P. WATLEY (d. 1902) who is also buried
        at CF:

        "MRS. ELIZABETH WATLEY, AGED 62 YEARS, IS DEAD.

        "Mrs. Elizabeth WATLEY, aged 62 years, died at her residence, No 2947
        Third avenue, at 7 o'clock yesterday morning, after an illness of
        several months. She is survived by four sons, Mr. Green WATLEY, of
        Taylor county, Georgia, and Messrs. Jas., Hamer, and John WATLEY, of
        this city, and three daughters, Mrs. Allie OWENS, Mrs. WATSON and
        Mrs. Ada SEDBERRY, all of this city. She was a member of the Free
        Will Baptist Church. The funeral will take place from the house at
        10 o'clock this morning and will be conducted by Rev. Aaron HART.
        The interment will be at Clapp's Factory burying ground."

        [Columbus (GA) Daily Enquirer-Sun, Sunday, 11 OCT 1903, Part II, p.
        14.]

        "MRS. ELIZABETH WATLEY DIED YESTERDAY

        "At Her Home On Upper Third Avenue After a Long Illness.

        "Mrs. Elizabeth WHATLEY died at her home, No. 2___ Third avenue, at 7
        o'clock yesterday morning, after an illness of several months. She
        was 62 years of age, and a member of the Free Will Baptist church.
        She is survived by four sons, Mr. Green WATLEY of Taylor county, and
        Messrs. James, Homer and John WHATLEY, of this city, and by three
        daughters Mrs. Allie OWENS, Mrs. WATSON, and Mrs. Ada SEDBERRY [?],
        all of Columbus. The funeral will take place from the house at 10
        o'clock this morning, conducted by Rev. Aaron HART, and the interment
        will be at Clapp's factory burying ground."

        [Columbus (GA) Ledger newspaper, Sunday, 11 OCT 1903, Sec. 7, p. 51.
        WATLEY and WHATLEY are as they appear in the article.]
      • suewatson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2007
          Thank you thank you! I believe that the 'Mrs. Watson' in this is possibly my grandmother. My dad was born in 1910 and had said that his mother had said her parents were buried at this cemetary, but I never got the name of his grandmother :) What a nice thing to find in my mail just before Thanksgiving!!

          Sue

          "And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " ~~ Anais Nin

          On Tue Nov 20 18:54 , 'newsompage' <retrofit@...> sent: