W, P. GUEST (ca. 1829 - 1895 Hines Crossing, Harris Co, GA), buried at CF

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2007
      Note: evidently, the name GEIST in this first article should read
      GUEST instead, apparently the groundskeeper and watchman for the
      Clapp's Factory property at the time.

      "BRUTALLY BEATEN: THE AGED AND CRIPPLED KEEPER OF CLAPP'S FACTORY
      COWARDLY TREATED.

      "Clapp's Factory came very near being the scene of a murder yesterday
      afternoon about dark. Keeper GEIST, who is both aged and crippled,
      received some very brutal treatment at the hands of Mose UPSHAW, a
      notoriously bad negro. The negro attacked the old man with a gun,
      which he used very freely as a club. The old man in attempting to
      stay his blows, had his left arm broken. Some very severe licks were
      dealt the old man on the head. A big gash was made on the left cheek
      and on the back of the head. After beating Mr. GEIST until he was
      unconscious and almost dead, UPSHAW fled and has not been arrested
      yet. Mr GEIST is sixty-five years of age. Dr. GRIGGS and Dr. Jack
      SIMMS were summoned and attended the old man's injuries. It is
      thought that he will recover."

      [Columbus (GA) Daily Enquirer newspaper, Thursday, 23 NOV 1893.]

      "THE ASSAULT ON MR. GUEST.

      "MR. CLAPP GIVES AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE AFFAIR.

      "Editor ENQUIRER-SUN: You have been wrongly informed as to
      the `GUEST matter.' He returned from the city between 3 and 4
      o'clock the day he was hurt, very much under the influence of
      whiskey, and on meeting the boy, Mose UPSHAW, cursed him for some
      time and then got out of his cart and slapped the negro's face and
      kicked him and the negro struck Mr.GUEST on the breast with his bat.
      Mr. GUEST then tried to make his horse ride down the boy, add [sic]
      after cursing him again he told the negro to wait until he got his
      gun and returned and he would kill him, with a good many d[amn]s.
      Mr. GUEST then drove on home, one-eighth of a mile, and got his gun
      and came back to the negro's house and passed it to catch up with the
      negro, who had in the interval gotten his own gun, but was coming
      away from his own house and away from Mr. GUEST. On Mr GUEST again
      catching up with the negro, he attempted to shoot him, but only
      touched him slightly on the back of his neck, then the negro clubbed
      his own gun and knocked Mr. GUEST down, and the same blow broke his
      arm. The boy then left for parts unknown. John UPSHAW was not
      within one hundred yards of Mr. GUEST at any time until after he
      received the blow and was unconscious. He then went to him with
      other parties. It was not highway robbery, and did not occur at
      dark. I had Mr. GUEST carried to his house fully one hour before
      sundown. It all happened within one hundred yards of more than half
      a dozen people, black and white. We have a good neighborhood, and no
      highwaymen, tramps, etc. Respectfully, George M[ilton] CLAPP."

      [Columbus (GA) Daily Enquirer newspaper, Sunday, 10 DEC 1893.]

      "Mr. W. P. GUEST DEAD.

      "Expired Suddenly Near Hines Crossing, Harris County.

      "News has reached the city of the death of Mr. W. P. GUEST, which
      occurred at 4 o'clock Thursday afternoon. Mr. GUEST was crossing a
      field near Hine's Crossing in Harris county, when he suddenly dropped
      dead, of heart failure. The deceased was about 65 years of age, and
      had many friends and acquaintances in this city who will be pained to
      learn of his sudden demise. Mr GUEST was an ex-Confederate veteran,
      and an honest and upright citizen. He was highly respected by all
      who knew him. His remains will be enterred [sic] at Clapp's factory
      burying ground at 11 o'clock this morning."

      [Columbus (GA) Daily Enquirer newspaper, Saturday, 02 APR 1898.]

      Does anyone know where Hines Crossing is or was?

      I have not yet determined in what unit Mr. GUEST served during the
      war. I am also interested in any information on his background and
      family connections.

      Is there a kinship to Emma (age 8) and Maud (age 6) GUEST, listed as
      daughters of John & Agnes ROBISON in their 1880 household on p. 506D
      in the vicinity of Clapp's Factory in Nances District, Muscogee Co,
      GA? Also present are an aunt, Evaline ANDERSON (age 73); a sister-in-
      law, Sinah MULLINAX (age 34), and a Malinda WRIGHT (age 34), whose
      relationship is listed as "other." Note also, three doors away,
      Gertrude GUEST (age 1), granddaughter of Martha SIMPSON (age 67);
      also present is Martha's daughter Mary SIMPSON, a widow, age 30.

      I'm also interested in information on Mose UPSHAW and John UPSHAW,
      their background, family connections, and what became of them.

      Thanks - John in TX.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2007
        John,

        Have you sent any of these to the surname list? If you haven't I will.
        Hopefully it might help with the search.

        Are you sleeping between jobs or simply sitting at the computer? For those
        of you who know John, he's working 2 jobs, taking care of his parents and
        transcribing everything he gets his hands on.

        kemis

        On Behalf Of newsompage
        Subject: [ClappCemetery] W, P. GUEST (ca. 1829 - 1895 Hines Crossing, Harris

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 26, 2007
          Kemis,

          Yes, I have been posting a version of each query on the appropriate
          surname boars at both Rootsweb and GenForum. Thanks for the offer,
          though. I keep trying to wind up the last of the stories, which are
          longer, but as I go along, I keep finding more CF burials (not that I'm
          complaining!).

          John