POW/MIA Korean War, BROOKS

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2007
      I received the following from my BROOKS list. While the gentleman is
      seeking help with a BROOKS soldier, he left a URL to more of those who
      didn't return. If you have a family member who was in war since WWII and
      never returned, check out the following.

      kemis

      http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.brooks/7493/mb.ashx
      Message Board Post:
      I am searching for the family of a soldier who was killed in the Korea War.
      When he entered service he gave Fairfax County, Virginia as his home of
      record. His remains were never recovered.
      Soldier: WILLIAM PAYNE BROOKS
      Born: October 24, 1929, Black
      Date of loss: October 19, 1952, Missing in Action (MIA)

      When the Korean War ended the enemy never returned or accounted for over
      8,000 of our servicemen. They died in their hands. That was over 50 years
      ago. Since that time DNA has been perfected and also they are recovering
      remains in North Korea. Our government is obligated to return those remains
      to the proper family. DNA samples have been obtained from most of the
      families of these missing soldiers. For various reasons some families have
      not been located. The Brooks family is one of those missing.
      When the remains are recovered and identified they will be returned to the
      family for proper burial. I am just an old (76 years) Combat Veteran out of
      the Korean War and thankful that I did return. I consider this a very noble
      cause and I hope that you can help in some way to find this family. For more
      information on the project you may go to http://www.jpac.pacom.mil/. My part
      in the program is to match up the lost families with the proper agency.
      I will be grateful for any assistance in locating this family.
      Harold Davis
      40th Infantry Division
      Korea '52-'53
      910-791-2333