Re: [ClappCemetery] How can I help?

  • Stacy Mote
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18 9:26 AM
      John,

      Well, I am a certified erosion control inspector so maybe there is something I can do in that department and with all my engineer friends I am sure we can come up with something.

      I would love to do a flora/fauna list! That is one of my specialties!

      Stacy

      John Mallory Land <retrofit@...> wrote:
      Stacy,

      Thanks for your offer to pitch in - it sounds like you're certainly
      qualified to help assess needs at the cemetery site and address
      problems. Two areas we really need some input on are erosion control
      and botanical preservation.

      There are two major washes - one over the bluff on the river side of the
      cemetery, and one across the dirt road on the south side. We would like
      to find out how to mitigate any erosion without interrupting the runoff
      of rainwater.

      We would also like to get an inventory of what trees and other flora are
      on the site, with approximate ages for the larger trees, and advice on
      how to deal with any diseased trees. For instance, one of the trees has
      a big gash down the side and has been lashed together with garden hose
      and wire - not sure who did this or when, and wondering if there is
      anything else we can do to help that tree heal. We have been advised by
      the archealogical firm not to remove any flora (other than removing
      vines that inhibit movement through the site - mainly sumac, but also
      including honeysuckle and wisteria, I believe) for the time being. We
      have removed some of the thickets of pivot hedge that are so dense they
      obscure the ground and block passage. We are trying not to remove any
      tree saplings or large shrubs, although we have been trimming low limbs
      as necessary. We intend any eventual changes with regard to the flora
      to be in keeping with traditional plantings in a nineteenth-century
      Georgia cemetery.

      Please consult with Laura about ongoing cleaning and clearing at the
      cemetery site, as she is currently coordinating those activities as
      Chair of the Site Monitoring Committee.

      Thanks a lot!

      John

      Stac wrote:

      > Good Morning Group!
      >
      > I recently joined the group and I am very excited about helping out.
      > I plan to join "officaly" by sending in my membership fees. This
      > month I am deeply involved with the Help-the-Hooch cleanup and
      > festival (occurs this weekend). After that, I would like to devote
      > some of my time to helping the CFCP group. Is there more that needs
      > to be cleaned up? Can I go out there on my own on weekends and
      > clean? I plan on being at the next meeting held so that I can get
      > acquainted with the group. Please let me know of any specific needs.
      >
      > I am an environmental scientist that has some experience (although
      > limited) with historical features. I deal with federal/state
      > permitting for wetlands, water quality, conservation easeemnts, and
      > arch/historic sites, etc.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Stacy Mote

      > .

    • marriedfairy2005
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 18 1:04 PM
        Stacy,

        Thats sounds great and welcome to the group. Please contact me
        to let me know what day you would like to go out to the cemetery so
        I can walk around with you and let you know what needs to be done.
        I am glad to have someone help out. It gets kinda lonely out there
        sometimes...lol...and talking to a 3 year old all the time can get
        tiresome. LOL

        Laura

      • suewatson@knology.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 18 4:51 PM
          I don't know if anyone has a connection with Boy Scouts, but if someone is
          looking for an Eagle project, this would be a wonderful one for them :)
          Also, Northside HS is an engineering magnet and there are some teachers
          that are very much into the environment there. They might be able to
          get some kids involved that are headed toward that as a career?
          Just a thought....

          Sue

          On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:26:46 -0700 (PDT), Stacy Mote <motesta01@...>
          wrote :

          > John,
          >
          > Well, I am a certified erosion control inspector so maybe there is
          something I can do in that department and with all my engineer friends I
          am sure we can come up with something.

          > I would love to do a flora/fauna list! That is one of my specialties!
          >
          > Stacy

        • Belle
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 18 5:17 PM
            Thank you for the ideas.

            Michael and Laura Osburn

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 18 7:38 PM
              Several years back, I was given 5 minutes at the Boy Scout Council and pitched the idea to them. I had one call from a scout, but he never met me at the cemetery or called me back.

              wrote :

              > John,
              >
              > Well, I am a certified erosion control inspector so maybe there is
              something I can do in that department and with all my engineer friends I
              am sure we can come up with something.

              > I would love to do a flora/fauna list! That is one of my specialties!
              >
              > Stacy

            • Stacy Mote
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 19 8:38 AM
                Laura,

                That sounds wonderful. I'll call you next week to set something up. Thanks for offering to show me around. That will be most helpful. Have a wonderful day!

                Stacy