Dumping in the cemetery

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      All,

      This is a summary of the discussion about how to deal with the continued
      dumping in the cemetery:

      --Kemis Massey sent a letter of complaint regarding the recent dumping
      to the members of the City Council, the Director of the Department of
      Parks and Recreation, and to Georgia Power Company personnel. As far as
      I know, we have not received a response.

      --It was pointed out that posting signs identifying the cemetery before
      we have a fence up to protect it might invite increased vandalism. It
      would probably be wise to put this off.

      --It was suggested out that the expense for signs, such as "No
      trespassing" and "No dumping" should be borne by the Georgia Power
      Company, since they are currently the landowner and responsible for
      protecting the site. However, I can't believe that persons illegally
      dumping would be dissuaded from doing so by the mere posting of signs.
      They surely know what they are doing is wrong and illegal. Georgia
      Power has posted a "No Trespassing" sign at the entrance to the
      RiverWalk, and a city sign there states that no unauthorized motorized
      vehicles are allowed in the park, but these did not prevent someone from
      dumping the washing machine and stove in the cemetery.

      --I have sent a message to my contacts with Georgia Power requesting
      that the company underwrite the expense of placing a gate across the
      dirt road into the cemetery and also a barrier, such a as a pole, to
      prevent vehicles from entering on the northside path. These would be
      temporary, until we can put up a fence. We would consult with the
      archaeological firm first to make sure the placement of such barriers
      does not disturb a grave or other historical element of the cemetery.
      Any barrier would have to allow Georgia Power access to the sighting
      monument on the bluff in the cemetery - perhaps with a key lock, to
      which they and we would each have a key. I have not yet heard back from
      Georgia Power.

      --In the same message, I requested that they underwrite the expense of
      the formal archaeological survey this winter, which is currently bid at
      $17,303. If Georgia Power does not agree to pay all or a major portion
      of this cost, we will need to come up with another way to pay for it -
      the survey needs to happen this year. This week, I will also be
      contacting officials in the Consolidated Government about the project
      and our need for funds, although it is unlikely that we would receive
      any monetary support from them. If anyone has any suggestions, please
      let us know.

      Thanks,