Re: [ClappCemetery] Brownville, etc.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 3:17 PM
      Mike and Laura,

      The name of Brownville (sometimes Browneville, Brownsville) was changed
      to Phenix City in 1889. In 1923, Phenix City and Girard were merged
      under the name Phenix City and the Lee / Russell County line was
      changed to include the entire city (as of that date) within Russell Co.
      I have a more detailed history of all that I can send you (or anyone
      else - please request it) as an attachment.

      I will have all my maps and materials with me when I come back in
      October and will be glad to meet y'all at the cemetery to get a bearing
      on where the various landmarks were. I learned some interesting things
      during my visit with Michael Harris - we tramped all over the bank and
      through the woods there, from above the dam almost to the Bypass bridge.
      I will be writing up an account of my observations and posting it some
      time soon.

      I will email y'all privately about other needs the organization has at
      present. Thanks for your willingness to get involved.

      John in TX