Re: [ClappCemetery] Funeral records and obituaries

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8 3:10 PM
      Michael and Laura,

      I am familiar with the work that WILSON did in abstracting funeral
      records. However, if you go through his material and find something we
      missed, I would appreciate knowing about it.

      The Torbert Funeral Home was bought out by Britton & Dobbs, which firm
      held all the Torbert records. These are now in the possession of Leslie
      SMITH of Lanett, AL, who is a direct descendant of both BRITTON and
      DOBBS. Mrs. SMITH was very gracious to let me look at the records she
      has and is willing to let someone photocopy them all for transcription.
      This desperately needs to be done - one of the original Tobert books,
      from 1904, that WILSON abstracted is now missing. That volume includes
      the funeral order for one of our Clapp's Factory burials, a NIX. We
      only know of it because of WILSON's abstracts. However, there is quite
      a bit more information in the book entries than in WILSON's abstracts.

      As far as I know, no one has gone completely through the local
      newspapers on microfilm and systematically looked for death notices and
      other mentions of Clapp's Factory. At some point, this should be done.
      It's difficult, though, because the newspaper record is far from
      complete, there were a variety of newspapers over the years, some of
      which merged, and the issues on microfilm often skip dates, occasionally
      with an issue out of seqeunce inserted - and you can't tell any of this
      from the dates on the microfilm box label.

      Buster WRIGHT passed away a couple of years ago, and the records his
      wife (who predeceased him) had compiled on the James NEWSOME family that
      were at CF have disappeared. I am still trying to track them down.

      No one I have spoken to lately knows where Dan OLDS stands on his
      project to abstract the newspaper death notices. I will email him and ask.

      On the list of burials we have complied, I have cited the source for
      each entry. I will email it to you (and to anyone who wants it - let me
      know) as an attachment.

      Thanks - John in TX

      marriedfairy2005 wrote:

      > Have all of the funeral records by Wilson been listed and looked threw?
      >
      > Has all of the Ledger-Enquirer newspapers been looked threw since the
      > first date?
      >
      > Where has the entire list of names that you have so far come from?

      > .

    • marriedfairy2005
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8 5:45 PM
        Ok more questions....

        Could you set it up with Leslie so that I could get the records and
        copy them for you?

        Would you like for me to start going threw the mircofilm?

        Do you happen to know the names of the newspapers that were running
        during the time from the mill opening to around 1904 or so?

        How are you trying to find Buster WRIGHT'S papers?

        M&L

        --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, John Mallory Land
        <retrofit@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > were at CF have disappeared. I am still trying to track them
        down.

        > No one I have spoken to lately knows where Dan OLDS stands on his
        > project to abstract the newspaper death notices. I will email him
        and ask.

        > On the list of burials we have complied, I have cited the source
        for
        > each entry. I will email it to you (and to anyone who wants it -
        let me
        > know) as an attachment.
        >
        > Thanks - John in TX
        >
        > marriedfairy2005 wrote:
        >

        > > Have all of the funeral records by Wilson been listed and looked
        threw?

        > > Has all of the Ledger-Enquirer newspapers been looked threw
        since the
        > > first date?
        > >
        > > Where has the entire list of names that you have so far come

        subject=Unsubscribe>