Re: [ClappCemetery] "Grist mill" ruins

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2006
      Michael and Laura,

      I will address your various questions in separate postings - that way,
      if anyone wants to address a particular issue, they can do so in reponse
      to that given message.

      I believe the "grist mill ruins" referred to by pgreatho01@... -
      this is Patricia Dodd GREATHOUSE, who died 07 FEB 2003, by the way -
      were actually the ruins of a pumphouse that are south of where the
      Clapp's Factory complex was. Directly west of this structure are a
      series of pilings that lead into or across the river. These may have
      supported a bridge or a water intake, or both (or something else!). I
      have photographed these ruins in the past, and I went there again on
      Sunday with Michael Harris. We need to have a trained historian look at
      this structure and others in the area to try to nail down their purpose
      and the approximate dates when they would have been built and in use.

      It is entirely possible that Patricia was referring to something else,
      but I have not come across anything that appears to be the remains of a
      grist mill. The old Clapp's Factory grist mill was a one-story,
      wooden-framed structure just south of the main mill buidling and
      evidently had collapsed before the mill building burned down in 1910. A
      flume had diverted water from the river to the CF grist mill, per
      Sanborn Fire Insurance maps (1885, 1889).

      This week, I will scan the photos I have of the pumphouse (?) ruins and
      post them in the photo album on the Yahoo group site.

      John in TX

      marriedfairy2005 wrote:

      > I was reading a copy of an email from a "pgreatho01@...
      > <mailto:pgreatho01%40aol.com>" called Clapp Village.
      > They were talking about the grist mill ruins being located. Can
      > anyone tell me about how to get to them, to see if they are still
      > there?

    • marriedfairy2005
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2006
        Ok thanks for this info...I can't wait to see the photos. Also we
        have not been off the track other then down the hill a little bit,
        could you tell us a good way to go to get to where the mill and all
        was, or is there someone here that could walk us to it? And do you
        know a trained historian or do you know where we can find one?

        Michael and Laura

        --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, John Mallory Land