Re: [ClappCemetery] videos and photos from today

  • Anne Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2006
      I was watching the videos Michael and Laura took of Clapp Cemetery. Thank you so much for doing that. You two have been such a great help to me as well as the group. I appreciated that you went to Girard Cemetery and took pictures of family graves for me. You are wonderful!
      As I watched the video, I remembered my 82 year old aunt, who grew up in Columbus, talking about the river flooding a few times. My aunt lives with my husband and I and has some great stories to tell about life in Columbus during her lifetime. My family lived on Lower Broad and she said the water was up to the steps of their home. I am sure the cemetery must have flooded also. Has any one ever checked on that? Would the area of the cemetery be at a higher elevation than Lower Broad?
      Anne Brown
      FL

    • marriedfairy2005
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2006
        We are so glad that you liked them and we still have about 4 more to
        upload tonight. LOL Yes we were talking about a Bush Hog but then
        we thought about how it would just whip out everything. Not a good
        thing LOL.

        Michael and Laura

        --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, "Gen" <stargazer_gen@...>
        wrote:

        > Michael and Laura,
        > Thanks for the wonderful videos of the cemetery. I live too far
        > away to be able to visit easily (Spokane, Washington) so it is
        nice
        > to be able to see the area where some of my family rests. In
        > watching the videos, though, I heard mention of use of a Bush Hog
        > and just want to say please, please, please don't allow anyone
        with
        > a Bush Hog into the cemetery. Another cemetery where members of my
        > family are was in exactly the came condition as this one. Someone
        > thought it would be easiest to clear the area with a Bush Hog
        first
        > but in the process most of the remaining grave markers were
        > completely destroyed, shattered into rubble. Only 2 markers remain
        > intact; luckily one was my husband's great grandmother. She was in
        > the center of some beautiful lilac bushes and her marker was
        spared.
        > I am so grateful to all who are willing and able to dedicate time
        > preserving this very important site and hope that only the
        gentlest
        > of techniques will be used.
        >
        > Geneva Donley
        >

        > --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, "marriedfairy2005"
        > <marriedfairy2005@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok everyone, we have some good news and some bad. The bad news
        is
        > > that we could not find the grave "Dewy" that we found a year
        ago,
        > but
        > > we will keep trying. The good news is that I took some photos
        and
        > > some videos. I took photos but sometimes when you look at a
        photo
        > you
        > > might not know what you are looking at or even what you are
        > looking
        > > for. So I took some video so you could see and hear what I am
        > trying
        > > to point out. I am uploading the videos on youtube.com right
        now,
        > > have 14 of them so it is taking some time. Also I will let
        ya'll
        > > knowwhen I get the photos ready. Here is the link to where the
        > videos
        > > will be at. Oh and just to let everyone know, we had our kids
        > with us
        > > and so we were playing and having fun to. So dont laugh to hard
        > at
        > > us. LOL
        > >
        > > http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=marriedfairy2005
        > >
        > > Let me know what you think.
        > >
        > > Michael and Laura

      • marriedfairy2005
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2006
          So glad to still be helpping you Anne. Did you get my last email
          about getting those names from you, so I could take take them with
          me to look up? Also thats a great question, does anyone know how,
          other then newspaper (thats the only way I know) that we could find
          out if it has been flooded?

          Michael and Laura

          --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Brown" <jbrown73@...>
          wrote:

          > I was watching the videos Michael and Laura took of Clapp
          Cemetery. Thank you so much for doing that. You two have been such a
          great help to me as well as the group. I appreciated that you went
          to Girard Cemetery and took pictures of family graves for me. You
          are wonderful!
          > As I watched the video, I remembered my 82 year old aunt, who grew
          up in Columbus, talking about the river flooding a few times. My
          aunt lives with my husband and I and has some great stories to tell
          about life in Columbus during her lifetime. My family lived on Lower
          Broad and she said the water was up to the steps of their home. I am
          sure the cemetery must have flooded also. Has any one ever checked
          on that? Would the area of the cemetery be at a higher elevation
          than Lower Broad?
          > Anne Brown
          > FL

        • Anne Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2006
            Laura,
            My great great grandfather, was William R. Jeffries (1848-03 Dec 1899). He and his young daughter, Callie Emory Jeffries, are both buried at Clapp. John found Callie's obit and posted an inquire on the Muscogee List. That is how I learned Callie even existed.
            While on one of my very few trips to Columbus, I was able to find William's obit, which shows he was buried in Clapp as well.
            His obit listed him as W. B. Jeffries, but from the date of death, which was listed in the Jeffries family Bible, and his children's, names listed in the obit, I knew it was my W. R.
            I don't remember receiving an email from you about the names. Would you like all of his family? I know where some are buried, but not all. I am sure his first wife was buried in Girard. I do not know when his second wife died or where she might be buried. She was either living when William died, or she was deceased and he had married a third time. I am still trying to piece those facts together.
            John and I both wondered if the second wife was buried at Clapp also. I have checked out the Columbus City Directories and W. R. is working at the E&P Mills in almost everyone. The last directory listing W. R., was the 1898-99. He died, 3 Dec 1899. I did find a directory which listed a Jane Jeffries, wid of Wm.
            From my notes:

            "The 1906, Columbus City Directory, pg 278, list a Jeffries, Jane, (wid Wm) , b. 4 16th. The only other William Jefferies know to be in the area at that time, was William Arthur, son of W. R. Arthur's wife's name was, Hattie and she was not a widow at the time. It is possible that this Jane was the third wife of W. R., but it is not proven."

            I wonder if this Jane could be his 3rd wife. (If there even was a third) I haven't had time to check to see if there was a third marriage for him in either Russell or Muscogee counties. I am not sure of the date that marriage might have taken place.
            Here are the names of his children and 2nd wife:
            Wife: Ella McCracken No dates on her.
            Sons:
            John Swept, son of 1st wife, buried in Riverdale
            William Arthur Jeffries, 1878-1953, buried in Girard
            John Robert Jeffries, ca 1879- 1934, buried in Girard
            Daughters:
            Laura Rebecca Jeffries, 1886-Bet. 1920-1930, married John Thomas Collins and moved to Atlanta.
            Willie Jeffries, born bet. 1886-1889, married Gordon Taylor. (Family History)
            Callie Emory Jeffries, 1897-08 Sep 1899, buried in Clapp.

            W.R. Jeffries was in Georgia (Terrell Light Artillery) (Capt. Brooks' Co.) during the Civil War.
            Let me know if you need more.
            Anne

            wrote:

            > I was watching the videos Michael and Laura took of Clapp
            Cemetery. Thank you so much for doing that. You two have been such a
            great help to me as well as the group. I appreciated that you went
            to Girard Cemetery and took pictures of family graves for me. You
            are wonderful!
            > As I watched the video, I remembered my 82 year old aunt, who grew
            up in Columbus, talking about the river flooding a few times. My
            aunt lives with my husband and I and has some great stories to tell
            about life in Columbus during her lifetime. My family lived on Lower
            Broad and she said the water was up to the steps of their home. I am
            sure the cemetery must have flooded also. Has any one ever checked
            on that? Would the area of the cemetery be at a higher elevation
            than Lower Broad?
            > Anne Brown
            > FL

          • Geneva
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11, 2006
              Hi John,
              I'm actually from North Carolina but moved to Spokane about a year ago when my husband took a job here. My gr.gr.gr.gr.gr. grandmother, Elizabeth Newsom Belcher, whose husband James died at the battle of Second Manassas, is buried there. My mother was born and raised in Columbus, Georgia but moved to North Carolina with her family when she was about 17.
              Thanks so much for your response to my concerns and for your tireless efforts to protect that sacred ground. You and all who assist you are much appreciated!

              Gen

              John Mallory Land <retrofit@...> wrote:
              Gen,

              Thanks for writing. We have a Master Plan that calls for a formal
              archaeological survey to be conducted before any other action is taken
              in the cemetery, and no, there will be no heavy equipment used at any
              time. We are in a holding pattern at present, just trying to keep the
              litter picked up and figure out a way to halt further dumping. Before
              the formal survey can be done, we will need to clear thick vines and
              remove dead limbs and trees, but will not be cutting or removing any
              more live vegetation for the time being.

              I am interested to know what family or connection you have to the
              cemetery - you certainly are far-flung up there in Washington (I
              thought I was far-removed here in Texas)! Thanks for your interest and
              concern,