History Channel - Modern Marvels

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14 8:01 PM
      The subject line looks like an oxy-moron - and I bet y'all are wondering what it has to do with genealogy. This weekend I watched Modern Marvels do a piece on Cotton. This show did the history of cotton in the US and how it impacts us today. For those of us who have roots in mill towns, we know the impact it had. Remember sometime in order to know our ancestors, we need to know how they lived.

      For me an interesting part was when they interviewed a man by the name of David CLAPP who works as upper management in a mill in NC. The 2nd mill in GA was built in Muscogee County and run by Julius CLAPP in the early 1800's.

      If you get the opportunity to see the program check it out - could explain why your ancestor moved to another county or state.

      Happy Family Hunting,
      kemis massey
      sobbygenealogy@...

      Researching:
      for hubbie: MASSEY, BROOKS, FOUNTAIN, SMITH
      for me: SONGER, CAMP, EVANS, ROSAMOND
      Sobby Genealogy http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~sobbygenealogy/

      for preservation: CLAPP Cemetery, Community, Factory, and Families - Muscogee County
      for GAGen Web Project: any info (county, family, history, industry) on:
      Chattahoochee County, GA http://www.rootsweb.com/~gachatta/index.htm
      Clayton County, GA http://www.rootsweb.com/~gaclayt2/index.htm
      Muscogee County, GA http://www.rootsweb.com/~gamuscog/

      for AHPG Project: any info (county, family, history, industry) on:
      Clayton County, GA http://www.rootsweb.com/~gaclayto/