Re: Clapp's Mill - Alamance Co, NC

  • kemismassey
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27 2:07 PM
      There are Clapp Factories and Mills through out the east coast. One
      was in Rockland, MA. I want to say one was in Ohio. But don't quote
      me on that one, too much Clapp stuff has gone through this mind. I'd
      have to go back through some files to me defininte.

      It would be interesting to know if they were kin.

      kemis

      --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia" <pacant1104@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi All!
      > On another yahoo group I belong to (MountainFeuds), there was
      > mention of a book about a Clapp's Mill. It immediately picqued my
      > interest, so I asked which Clapp's Mill they were referring to and
      > this is what I got as an answer (below). I wonder if the Clapp's
      Mill
      > in Alamance Co, NC folks were kin to the ones who settled in
      Columbus.

      > Patricia Cantrell
      > ==================
      > > Patricia,
      > > Clapp's Mill is in Alamance County NC. I believe it is located in
      > or very near Burlington NC.
      > >
      > > a.. March 2, 1781: Clapp's Mill. Lt. Col. Henry Lee's U.S. forces
      > attempted to ambush Col. Banastre Tarleton's British forces.
      Tarleton
      > recoved and Lee was forced to retreat, losing 8 men, while the
      > British lost 20. (Alamance)
      > >
      > > It was one of the skirmishes fought shortly before the Battle Of
      > Guilford Courthouse.
      > >
      > > Kind regards,
      > > Dennis

      Actually,