Clapp's Mill - Alamance Co, NC

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19 9:40 AM
      Hi All!
      On another yahoo group I belong to (MountainFeuds), there was
      mention of a book about a Clapp's Mill. It immediately picqued my
      interest, so I asked which Clapp's Mill they were referring to and
      this is what I got as an answer (below). I wonder if the Clapp's Mill
      in Alamance Co, NC folks were kin to the ones who settled in Columbus.

      Patricia Cantrell
      ==================
      > Patricia,
      > Clapp's Mill is in Alamance County NC. I believe it is located in
      or very near Burlington NC.

      > a.. March 2, 1781: Clapp's Mill. Lt. Col. Henry Lee's U.S. forces
      attempted to ambush Col. Banastre Tarleton's British forces. Tarleton
      recoved and Lee was forced to retreat, losing 8 men, while the
      British lost 20. (Alamance)

      > It was one of the skirmishes fought shortly before the Battle Of
      Guilford Courthouse.

      <fl_melissa@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Dennis,
      > >
      > > The book by Rollin Steele about this battle is available at the
      > Univ of
      > > Virginia Alderman Library and Danville Community College.
      > >
      > > Melissa

    • kemismassey
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27 2:07 PM
        There are Clapp Factories and Mills through out the east coast. One
        was in Rockland, MA. I want to say one was in Ohio. But don't quote
        me on that one, too much Clapp stuff has gone through this mind. I'd
        have to go back through some files to me defininte.

        It would be interesting to know if they were kin.

        kemis

        --- In ClappCemetery@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia" <pacant1104@y...>